1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two masses and spring oscillation

1. May 22, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The ratio of the time periods of small oscillation of the insulated spring and mass system before and after charging the masses is

(a) ≥ 1
    (b) > 1
    (c) ≤ 1
    (d) = 1

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

First I calculated the time period of neutral masses .

Let us consider origin to be at the left of m1 .Take the x axis to be along the length of the spring and call the left mass be m1 at coordinate x1 and right mass be m2 at coordinate x2 .

x=x2-x1-L

d2x/dt2 = d2(x2-x1)/dt2

EOM for mass m1 is m1d2x1/dt2 = kx

EOM for mass m2 is m2d2x2/dt2 = -kx

After manipulating the above two equations we arrive at d2/dt2 + (k/μ)x = 0 ,where μ = m1m2/(m1+m2) .

The time period is 2π√(μ/k) .

Now when the masses are charged ,

EOM for mass m1 is m1d2x1/dt2 = kx - keq2 / (x+L)2

EOM for mass m2 is m2d2x2/dt2 = -kx + keq2 / (x+L)2 .

Is this the correct way to approach the problem ? If yes ,how should I proceed .

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2014 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

This is just one of a few dozen multi-choice questions on an exam paper? If that's the case, there is probably not a lot of calculation to be done.

You are not told whether in this test the weights are changed from a smaller mass to a larger, or whether it's vice-versa? So even if the period were observed to change, how could you say whether the corresponding ratio is >1 when it might be <1 ?

So, purely on the absence of information allowing you to decide on any contrary option, it seems you are confined to only one answer.

spelling: probably "isolated" spring, and after "changing" :smile:

4. May 22, 2014 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The potential consists of an elastic part and a Coulomb-part. Expand the potential function into Taylor series about the equilibrium point. Keep up to the second order term. From the equilibrium condition and from the coefficient of the second-order term, you get the equivalent force constant.

ehild

5. May 22, 2014 #4
    Have I done it correctly in the OP ? Have I correctly written the EOM for the two charged masses ?Could you help me proceed using the force method .

6. May 22, 2014 #5
    No, they really meant insulated and charging. Look at the picture. The question is whether charging the masses with electric charges q affects the osculation period.

7. May 22, 2014 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It looks correct. Expand the force about the equilibrium point.

ehild

8. May 22, 2014 #7

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Big oops! I guess I should click on the thumbnail. :redface:

9. May 22, 2014 #8
    I am not sure what do we mean by equilibrium point in this two body problem ?

At equilibrium keq2/(x2e-x1e)2 = k(x2e-x1e-L) ,where x2eand x1e are respective equilibrium positions .

Or, keq2/xe2 = k(xe-L) ,where xe is the separation between the masses at equilibrium.

Is it correct ?

EOM for mass m1 is m1d2x1/dt2 = kx - keq2 / (x+L)2

EOM for mass m2 is m2d2x2/dt2 = -kx + keq2 / (x+L)2 .

Do I need to expand the 2nd term on the RHS about xe ?

10. May 22, 2014 #9

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, and write the differential equation for x-xe.

ehild

11. May 22, 2014 #10

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Do you know about reduced mass and converting a two-body problem into a one-body problem?

12. May 22, 2014 #11
    Hello Vela

Please check my understanding about reduced mass .

In the two body problem ,just as in case 1 where uncharged masses are present and the two masses are under the action of internal spring force ,we may consider mass 1 to be stationary (or treat it as origin) and replace mass 2 with reduced mass μ = m1m2/(m1+m2) .The relative separation 'x' works as the x coordinate of the 2nd mass .

Is this correct ?

I initially intended using the concept of reduced mass ,but there may be something wrong with my implementation . Please have a look at the OP where I have found the time using reduced mass .

What is the correct way of converting this two body problem in one body problem ?

13. May 22, 2014 #12

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yes, that's correct, and the differential equation you derived reflects just what you said. The point is, you didn't need to rederive this result. You could have gone straight to
    $$\mu \frac{d^2 x}{dt^2} = -kx.$$ For the charged masses, tack on the electric force and expand to first order to find the effective spring constant.

14. May 22, 2014 #13
    $$\mu \frac{d^2 x}{dt^2} = -kx + k_e\frac{q^2}{(x+L)^2}$$

Is this correct ?

15. May 22, 2014 #14

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Looks good.

16. May 22, 2014 #15
    When x<<L , $$\mu \frac{d^2 x}{dt^2} = -kx + k_e\frac{q^2}{L^2}(1-\frac{2x}{L})$$

$$\mu \frac{d^2 x}{dt^2} +(k+\frac{2k_eq^2}{L^3})x = k_e\frac{q^2}{L^2}$$

Here effective spring constant ##K = k+\frac{2k_eq^2}{L^3}## and time period is ## T = 2\pi \sqrt{\frac{\mu}{K}}##

Is this correct ?

Edit :Fixed errors

17. May 22, 2014 #16

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Right idea, but you made some algebra mistakes.

18. May 22, 2014 #17
    OK..I have fixed the errors .Does post#15 make sense ?

19. May 22, 2014 #18

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yup.

20. May 22, 2014 #19
    OK...

Can I conclude that the time period of oscillation of charged masses is less than that of the uncharged masses i.e the correct option is b) >1 ?

21. May 23, 2014 #20

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted