Two masses attached by a spring

In summary, the problem involves two masses, m1 and m2, attached by a spring of spring constant k on a frictionless surface, set into oscillatory motion. The original method for solving the problem involved using the center of mass as the origin and calculating the reduced mass to obtain the frequency. However, the professor has now asked for the equations of motion to be set up. The equations are m1a1=-k(x1-x2+l) and m2a2=-k(x2-x1-l). The value of l represents the extension of the spring from its unstretched length and must be taken into account when solving the problem. This is because the positions of the two masses, x1 and x2, are
Starproj
I am studying the problem of two masses, m1 and m2 (not equal) attached by a spring of spring constant k on a frictionless surface set into oscillatory motion (unstretched spring is of length l, x1 < x2). When I first attacked this problem, I let the origin be the center of mass, calculated the reduced mass, and was able to get the frequency, etc. While this yielded the correct answer, I have now been asked to solve it setting up the equations of motion. I deduce that they are

m1a1=-k(x1-x2+l)
m2a2=-k(x2-x1-l)

Can someone help me understand the notion of l? That is, for mass 1 is l positive because it is in the positive direction and vice-versa? I can solve it mathematically from there, but it makes me uncomfortable not fully understanding how the equations got set up.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
The best way to see it is like this.

Write down an expression for the extension (i.e. difference from original length) of the spring as a function of [tex]x_1[/tex] and [tex]x_2[/tex] (draw a diagram if you need).

Consider in which direction each of [tex]m_1[/tex] and [tex]m_2[/tex] would be accelerated by a positive extension. This should make everything clear...

...let me know if it doesn't!

Hi,

Thanks for replying. I have been looking at this problem from many different angles trying to determine why the prof included the value l. I found a great website that shows a much more complicated problem, but the process is basically the same:

http://www.efunda.com/formulae/vibrations/mdof_eom.cfm

I have concluded that the length l does not need to be included in the equations of motion, particularly since the time derivative of it would be zero and it falls out anyway. The only other trick I have noticed with these problems is that you have to take care of the signs and not just knee-jerk a -k.

*sigh* Maybe I should become a psychology major!

The reason the example you cite does not include spring lengths is because it is assuming that the springs are all at their natural lengths when the displacement variables of the various masses ([tex]x_i[/tex]) are all zero. In other words, the positions of the various masses are all measured from different origins.

In the problem set out by your professor, [tex]x_1[/tex] and [tex]x_2[/tex] are measured from the same origin. Thus the spring is not at its equilibrium length when [tex]x_1=x_2=0[/tex]. Thus, using this coordinate system you do need to have [tex]l[/tex] in the equations.

1. What is a mass-spring system?

A mass-spring system is a physical system consisting of two masses connected by a spring. The spring provides a restoring force that causes the masses to oscillate back and forth around their equilibrium position.

2. What is Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. In a mass-spring system, this means that the force exerted by the spring is proportional to the distance that the masses are stretched or compressed from their equilibrium position.

3. How does the mass affect the motion of the mass-spring system?

The mass of the masses attached to the spring affects the period and frequency of the oscillations of the mass-spring system. A heavier mass will have a longer period and lower frequency, while a lighter mass will have a shorter period and higher frequency.

4. What is the equation for the period of a mass-spring system?

The equation for the period (T) of a mass-spring system is T = 2π√(m/k), where m is the mass of the masses and k is the spring constant, a measure of the stiffness of the spring.

5. How does the spring constant affect the motion of the mass-spring system?

The spring constant (k) affects the stiffness of the spring and therefore the force it exerts on the masses. A higher spring constant results in a stiffer spring and therefore a shorter period and higher frequency of oscillations. A lower spring constant results in a less stiff spring and therefore a longer period and lower frequency of oscillations.