1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two Objects, Constant Acceleration, 1D Forces, Collision Question

1. Jan 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A ball is dropped from the top of a 50.0 rm m-high cliff. At the same time, a carefully aimed stone is thrown straight up from the bottom of the cliff with a speed of 21.0 m/s. The stone and ball collide part way up.

2. Relevant equations

v = v0+at
    x = x0 + v0t + (1/2)at2
    v2 = v20+2a(x- x0)

3. The attempt at a solution

Two objects, each with different components of one-dimensional motion. The two objects will share a common impact time because they are put into motion at the same time. I have tried solving for time and setting the equations equal to each other, but this yields no result because when I arrange the quadratic formula it evaluates to y = 0, which doesn't make sense. I don't need explicit help (although I don't mind, I just hate typing this out so I don't expect people trying to help me to), I just need a direction to take this problem.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

What is the question?

4. Jan 22, 2009 #3

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

If they collide there are two things that must be equal.

Time. and Height.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?