Two objects launched into the air by identical springs

In summary, two objects with different masses are launched vertically into the air by identical springs. The two springs are compressed by the same distance before launching. From this, we can infer that both masses will leave the springs with the same energy, as the equation for the energy of a spring does not involve mass. Additionally, the lighter mass will gain more gravitational potential energy than the heavier mass. However, both masses may reach the same maximum height and leave the springs with the same speed, as the equation for kinetic energy is directly proportional to mass and speed.
fattydq
Two objects with DIFFERENT MASSES are launched vertically into the air by identical springs. The two springs are compressed by the same distance before launching. Which of the following statements is or are true? (NOTE: THERE MAY BE MORE THAN ONE TRUE STATEMENT).
A) Both masses reach the same maximum height
B) Both masses leave the springs with the same energy
C) Both masses leave the springs with the same speed
D) Both masses leave the springs with the same Kinetic Energy
E) The lighter mass will gain more gravitational potential energy than the heavier mass.

this actually isn't a homework question, but it's posed at the beginning of a chapter in my book and I'm trying to work through it and figure it out before I read the chapter, kind of to challenge myself, since I have no other homework tonight : )

I know I can rule D out immediately, since the formula for kinetic energy directly involves multiplying by mass, and thus I can rule B out right? I also think I can rule A out, just due to common sense (if a spring were launching an elephant and a ping pong ball, the elephant might barely move while the ping pong ball would fly into the air)

For E I thought it was the opposite? Wouldn't the heavier mass gain more potential energy?

So I think I'm left with C...I could be terribly wrong though and I'd love to discuss this with you guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
since the equation for the energy of a spring is .5kx^2 and doesn't involve mass, one could say the masses leave the springs with the same energy. and for part E the potential energies would be the same since kx^2 is directly proportional to mgh---increasing mass would only decrease height proportionally and vice versa

ill said:
since the equation for the energy of a spring is .5kx^2 and doesn't involve mass, one could say the masses leave the springs with the same energy. and for part E the potential energies would be the same since kx^2 is directly proportional to mgh---increasing mass would only decrease height proportionally and vice versa

Ahh that makes sense, thanks, I forgot to consider that equation for the energy of a spring.

So B and C are viable, yes? Any other notes of interest in this problem?

Not so fast on ruling out D..
Yes, KE= .5mv^2, and the masses are different,but the speeds at which they are launched at are also different, which could give you the same KE product..

1. What is the concept behind two objects launched into the air by identical springs?

The concept behind two objects launched into the air by identical springs is based on Hooke's Law, which states that the force needed to extend or compress a spring is directly proportional to the distance it is stretched or compressed. When two identical springs are used, the force and distance for each object will be the same, resulting in equal launch height and trajectory.

2. How does the mass of the objects affect their launch height?

The mass of the objects does not affect their launch height in this scenario, as long as the springs used are identical. According to Hooke's Law, the force and distance are directly proportional, so the mass of the objects will not change the launch height.

3. Can the launch height be increased by using stronger springs?

Yes, using stronger springs can increase the launch height of the objects. This is because the force needed to compress or stretch the spring will be greater, resulting in a larger force and distance according to Hooke's Law.

4. Will the objects land at the same time?

Assuming that the objects are launched at the same time with the same initial velocity and angle, they should land at the same time. This is because the forces acting on the objects are the same, resulting in the same trajectory and landing time.

5. How does air resistance affect the launch of the objects?

Air resistance can affect the launch of the objects by slowing them down and altering their trajectory. This is because air resistance creates a force opposite to the direction of motion, which can decrease the overall velocity and distance traveled by the objects.