1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Two part 1d kinematics problem. Need help, not solution!

1. Sep 19, 2010 #1
    1. A parachustist jumps from an airplane and freely falls y=49.4 m before opening his parachute. Thereafter, he decelerates at a=2.02 m/s2. As he reaches the ground, his speed is 3.11 m/s. How long was the parachutist in the air?

For this one I managed to get the solution already using a method someone else showed me. However, I fumbled a long time with this problem and got the wrong answers despite having a strategy in mind.

What I did was the following. I split the problem up into two parts: before the parachute opens and after. These are the variables as I defined them at the beginning of the problem:

v0=0, s0 = 0, for when parachutist jumps out plane.

v1 = ?, s1 =49.4m, a1 = 9.8 m/s2, t1 = ?, upon parachute release

v2 = 3.11 m/s, s2 = ?, a2 = -2.02 m/s2, t2 = ?, upon reaching ground

1. First I tried to find the time t2 between parachute release and reaching ground.

0.5at2 + v2t + s1

0.5(-2.02 m/s2)t2+(3.11 m/s)t +49.4m

using the Q-formula I got t2=8.71

2. Then I tried finding v1

v2=v1+at2

3.11 m/s = v1 + (-2.02 m/s2)(8.71s)
    v1 = 20.7 m/s

3. Using v1, I could then find t1

t1 = (v1-v0)/a

t = 2.11s

The red part I think is where the mistake was. For that formula, I had to use v1, which I didn't know, but even if I did, would this approach still work? Plugging in values for v1, which I found later using a different method, still gave me wrong figures for t.

Rather than telling me how I could obtain a solution, please show me the mistake with this strategy and whether I could have tweaked it to make it work. I have struggled a long time with kinematics concepts and I admit my problem solving skills are subpar, so a physical description of what is occuring would be very helpful.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2010 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

For the first part you can use two equations.

1) vf1^2 = vo^2 + 2*g*s. Here vo = 0.
    2) vf1 = gt. Find t1.

For the second part follow the same procedure.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook