Kinematics - identifying and describing types of motion

In summary, the conversation discusses using the acceleration equation to calculate velocity and the reliability of drawing tangents to find velocities. The person asking the question is unsure of which data point to use and is told to use the velocity at time 0 for a more accurate calculation. The expert suggests fixing the tangent at 0.5s for a more accurate result.
alexandria

Homework Statement

upload_2016-3-21_22-46-33.png

Homework Equations

acceleration equation:
a = v2 – v1 / t2 – t1

The Attempt at a Solution

Can someone please tell me if my answers make sense. Thanks in advance :)[/B]

upload_2016-3-21_22-47-32.png

to calculate the velocity, i determined the slope of the tangents, postioned at 0.50s, 0.75 s, and 1.00 s

upload_2016-3-21_22-48-12.png

Using this information, i created a velocity time graph for the orange
upload_2016-3-21_22-51-52.png

Acceleration:

a = v2 – v1 / t2 – t1

a = 8.5 m/s (down) – 6.7 m/s (down) / 1.00 s – 0.75 s

a = 7.2 m/s2 (down)

Attachments

• upload_2016-3-21_22-37-18.png
    upload_2016-3-21_22-37-18.png
    16 KB · Views: 405
Physics news on Phys.org
Not bad, but which of all the available datapoints for velocity should be the most reliable?

what do you mean? are you referring to the velocity i calculated in my time-velocity data table? and what do you mean by most reliable? arent they all reliable?

alexandria said:
what do you mean? are you referring to the velocity i calculated in my time-velocity data table? and what do you mean by most reliable? arent they all reliable?
They're not wonderfully reliable because you are drawing tangents by eye and finding the velocities from their slopes. I can see, for example, that your tangent at 0.5s is a bit too steep.
There is one completely reliable velocity that you have not used. You do not even have to draw a tangent to find it!

i don't understand :P

alexandria said:
i don't understand :P
Which bit don't you understand, the inaccuracy inherent to the method you have been told to use to find velocities, or what data point you have not used?

both
i was just told to draw tangents and then calculate the slope of each tangent to determine the velocity
here's an example from my lesson:
upload_2016-3-22_2-42-30.png

upload_2016-3-22_2-41-55.png

upload_2016-3-22_2-43-24.png

upload_2016-3-22_2-43-44.png

alexandria said:
i was just told to draw tangents and then calculate the slope of each tangent to determine the velocity
Yes, I understand that, but you must realize that drawing tangents by eye like that is open to substantial error. The tangent you drew at 0.5s looks to me more like the tangent at 0.55s.
Since you are following a worked example, I suppose you cannot do much better than that. But had I prepared the example I would have taken the velocity at time 0 as an obvious known value. Note that using that value together with your t=1 tangent gives a rather more accurate value for g.

ok i understand, should i fix the tangent at 0.5 s, will that make it more accurate?

alexandria said:
ok i understand, should i fix the tangent at 0.5 s, will that make it more accurate?
Yes, a bit.

ok thank you.

1. What is kinematics and why is it important?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the causes of the motion. It is important because it helps us understand and describe the motion of objects in the world around us.

2. What are the three types of motion in kinematics?

The three types of motion in kinematics are translational, rotational, and oscillatory. Translational motion is when an object moves in a straight line, rotational motion is when an object rotates around a fixed point, and oscillatory motion is when an object moves back and forth around a central point.

3. How do you identify the type of motion of an object?

To identify the type of motion of an object, you need to observe its movement and determine if it is moving in a straight line, rotating around a fixed point, or moving back and forth around a central point. You can also analyze the object's position, velocity, and acceleration to determine its type of motion.

4. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction. Speed is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude, while velocity is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

5. How do you graph an object's motion on a distance-time graph?

To graph an object's motion on a distance-time graph, plot the distance on the y-axis and time on the x-axis. The slope of the line will represent the object's speed, with a steeper slope indicating a faster speed. The line itself will show the object's direction of motion, with a positive slope indicating motion in the positive direction and a negative slope indicating motion in the negative direction.