Two-Point Boundary Value Problem

In summary, the conversation is discussing the solution to the differential equation y'' + ßy = 0 with initial conditions y'(0) = 0 and y'(L) = 0. The person is stuck on the case where ß = 0 and is attempting to find a non-trivial solution. However, the answer in the back of the book only gives a trivial solution. The conversation then goes on to discuss potential solutions using integration and constants. The main point is whether the given boundary conditions only result in a trivial solution or if a non-trivial solution is possible.
Jamin2112

Homework Statement

y'' + ßy = 0, y'(0)=0, y'(L)=0

Homework Equations

Meh

The Attempt at a Solution

I so already did the ß>1 and ß<1; I'm stuck on the ß=0. It seems easy enough. y'' = 0 -----> y' = A -----> 0=A, 0=A (from the two initial conditions) ------> No non-trivial solution.

But...

The answer in the back of the book says ß0=0, y0(x)=1; ...

??

Physics news on Phys.org
Jamin2112 said:

Homework Statement

y'' + ßy = 0, y'(0)=0, y'(L)=0

Homework Equations

Meh

The Attempt at a Solution

I so already did the ß>1 and ß<1; I'm stuck on the ß=0. It seems easy enough. y'' = 0 -----> y' = A -----> 0=A, 0=A (from the two initial conditions) ------> No non-trivial solution.

Starting with y'' = 0 you need to integrate twice to get y, getting two constants.

LCKurtz said:
Starting with y'' = 0 you need to integrate twice to get y, getting two constants.

The boundaries it gives me are in terms of y' :wink:

Of course I know
y'' = 0 -----> y' = B ----> y = Ax + b

Jamin2112 said:
The boundaries it gives me are in terms of y' :wink:

Of course I know
y'' = 0 -----> y' = B ----> y = Ax + b

But the point is: does your boundary condition force only the trivial solution or can you get a non-trivial solution in this case?

What is a Two-Point Boundary Value Problem?

A Two-Point Boundary Value Problem is a type of mathematical problem where the values of a function are known at two distinct points, and the goal is to find the function that satisfies certain conditions at both points.

What are some examples of Two-Point Boundary Value Problems?

Examples of Two-Point Boundary Value Problems include finding the temperature distribution in a rod with known temperatures at both ends, determining the displacement of a beam with fixed ends, and calculating the electric potential between two charged plates.

What is the difference between a Two-Point Boundary Value Problem and an Initial Value Problem?

The main difference between these two types of problems is the number of known values. In an Initial Value Problem, only one value of the function is known at a given point, while in a Two-Point Boundary Value Problem, two values of the function are known at distinct points.

How are Two-Point Boundary Value Problems solved?

There are various methods for solving Two-Point Boundary Value Problems, such as the shooting method, finite difference method, and finite element method. These methods use numerical techniques to approximate the solution of the problem.

Why are Two-Point Boundary Value Problems important in science?

Two-Point Boundary Value Problems are important in science because they allow us to model and solve real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They also provide a framework for understanding and analyzing complex systems and phenomena.