Two point charges repelling, stretching a spring

In summary: In that particular attempt I thought I just needed to set the equation to each other to find their equivalency. But the two apparently weren't linear. The next attempt was only flawed in what you pointed out, the improper use of the x in hooke's law. Now that I corrected that I believe I go it. The values of force work out also.In summary, In equilibrium, the length of the spring is 0.493242 meters.
chopnhack

Homework Statement

Two spherical point charges each carrying a charge of 40 mC are attached to the two ends of a spring of length 20 cm. If its spring constant is 120 Nm-1, what is the length of the spring when the charges are in equilibrium?

Homework Equations

1) F = k*(q^2)/r^2 where k is the constant of proportionality
2) F = kx where k is the spring constant

The Attempt at a Solution

Both equations can be graphed and see where they intersect. I had some trouble getting my calculator to do that, so I set both equations equal to each other and then solved for x.
1) F = 14.4Nm^2/r^2
2) F = 120N/m * r

14.4Nm^2/r^2 = 120N/m * r

x = 0.493242m

Is the logic sound? If you try to solve for r, the forces do not equate.
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that the spring is originally 20 cm.

Likes chopnhack
person123 said:
Remember that the spring is originally 20 cm.
Yes, but they don't ask for the change in length but the final length. Unless I am missing something else you are hinting at?

chopnhack said:
Yes, but they don't ask for the change in length but the final length. Unless I am missing something else you are hinting at?
What does x stand for in the equation for the force of a spring?

person123 said:
What does x stand for in the equation for the force of a spring?
distance when stretched

chopnhack said:
distance when stretched
It's the change in length when stretched.

person123 said:
It's the change in length when stretched.
so the force of the spring when stretched 0.4932m * 120N/m = 59N
the force of the particles apart from each other at 0.4932m --> F = 14.4Nm^2/(0.24324) = 59N

chopnhack said:
so the force of the spring when stretched 0.4932m * 120N/m = 59N
the force of the particles apart from each other at 0.4932m --> F = 14.4Nm^2/(0.24324) = 59N
Is 0.4932 m the change in length or the new length?

person123 said:
Is 0.4932 m the change in length or the new length?
I took it to be the total new distance between the particles, hence the current length of the spring.

chopnhack said:
I took it to be the total new distance between the particles, hence the current length of the spring.
And isn't x supposed to be the change in the length of the spring and not the new length of the spring?

person123 said:
And isn't x supposed to be the change in the length of the spring and not the new length of the spring?
:sorry::H
that means that the force on the spring will only be 35N! 120n/m * deltaX. That means there is a problem with this approach. sigh...

My first approach at the problem was to equate the two directly together and the problem there was I got an answer of 3 meters that made no sense. As someone pointed out to me - check the value of force at 3m for each equation and you will see the problem. I did indeed see that the force at 3m for the particles was extremely small where as with the spring it was relatively high.

k = constant of proportionality

F = k ×(q1q2/r^2)

9x10^9 N×m2×C-2 × [(40μC^2)/0.2m^2]

F = 360Nk = spring constant = 120 N×m-1F = kx
360N = 120 N×m-1 × x
x = 3m

so then if we change the equation to:

14.4/x^2 = 120*(x-0.2)
x = 0.569715m

chopnhack said:
9x10^9 N×m2×C-2 × [(40μC^2)/0.2m^2]
Why are you finding the original electrostatic force instead of the final?

person123 said:
Why are you finding the original electrostatic force instead of the final?
In that particular attempt I thought I just needed to set the equation to each other to find their equivalency. But the two apparently weren't linear. The next attempt was only flawed in what you pointed out, the improper use of the x in hooke's law. Now that I corrected that I believe I go it. The values of force work out also.

14.4/x^2 = 120*(x-0.2)
x = 0.569715m

My apologies. I agree with what you did and it matches up with my results so I think it should be correct.

I appreciate your efforts to help me! Thanks mate :-)

1. How does the distance between two point charges affect the force of repulsion?

The force of repulsion between two point charges is directly proportional to the inverse square of the distance between the charges. This means that as the distance between the charges increases, the force of repulsion decreases.

2. What is the relationship between the strength of the spring and the magnitude of the charges?

The strength of the spring is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charges. This means that as the charges increase in magnitude, the spring will stretch further and exert a greater force of repulsion.

3. How does the spring constant affect the force of repulsion?

The spring constant is a measure of the stiffness of the spring. A higher spring constant means that the spring is stiffer and will exert a greater force of repulsion on the charges. Conversely, a lower spring constant will result in a weaker force of repulsion.

4. What happens to the spring when the charges have the same magnitude but opposite signs?

When the charges have opposite signs, they will attract each other rather than repel. This will cause the spring to compress instead of stretch. The amount of compression will depend on the magnitude of the charges and the spring constant.

5. Can a spring be used to measure the force of repulsion between two point charges?

Yes, a spring can be used as a simple tool to measure the force of repulsion between two point charges. By measuring the amount of stretch or compression of the spring, the force of repulsion can be calculated using Hooke's Law (F = kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement).