Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two questions on acceleration and an experiment

1. Jul 18, 2012 #1
    Hi.

First post here and not a native english speaker, so be kind :-)

1) I have never really understood what it means when we say that the gravitation accelerations is 9,82 m/s2

What is the practical use. Could anyone tell me with a simple example. I think the confusing part is the s2.

2) I have seen an experiment relating to one of newtons laws which consitet of a wagon moving down a hill. At some point a spring on the wagon was released which made the ball flying and landing in the wagon (which had already moved). Does this experiment have a name?

Thanks in advance. I hope you can help :-)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2012 #2
    It means that, for every second you are in free-fall, your velocity towards the earth increases by 9.8 meters per second. If I jump from a plane with a velocity of 0 meters per second, and it takes me 200 seconds to reach the ground, my velocity will be about 2000 meters per second when I reach the ground.

It doesn't have a name as far as I know of. It's demonstrating that the velocity in the X direction is independent of that in the Y direction.

4. Jul 19, 2012 #3
    Thank you! Helped a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook