1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Two questions on Newton Fluxions

1. Dec 21, 2016 #1
    Hi folks,

I have two questions:

1.- I am reading his Method of fluxions and when he writes x with a dot over the letter, Does he mean the differential of x, or what we say dx? In other words, Is that an infinitesimal quantity "smaller than any other fixed number"?

I ask because I have read in some web pages that x dot meant dx/dt.

2.- In the entire Principia it is posible to find a geometric representation of ininitesimal quantities, Is there any math book dedicated exclusively to explain how to represent graphically differentials on geometric figures?

Thanks!!!!!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

1. in Newton's notation, a dot over a letter refers to the time derivative while a primed letter refers to the space derivative in 1D.
    However, you will have to quote the passage to be sure.

2. An introductory college-level work on calculus will usually cover it, or, at least, the tools needed to construct one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted