1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two questions on ideal gases and heat

1. Nov 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A horizontal cilindre with a piston of mass M = 0.5 kg is filled with air (the specific heat of air is Cp = 1000 Joule/Grad*kmole). The heating of the gas results in the piston's accelerated displacement (with constant acceleration) until the velocity v = 1 m/s. Determine the amount of heat acumulated by the gas during the heating. The energy of one gas mol is U = Cp*T. Ignore the external pressure and the thermical capacities of both the cilindre and piston. The universal gas constant is R = 8.31*10³ Joule/Grad*kmole.

The volume of a room is 100m³ with ambient pressure of 1.02*10^5 Pa. Determine the air mass which left the room after the raise in temperature from 10°C to 25°C. The air density in normal conditions (To = 273K, p0 = 1.01*10^5 Pa) is 1.29kg/m³.

2. Relevant equations

General gas equations, minding the circumstances:
    P1V1 = P2V2
    P1/T1 = P2/T2
    V1/T1 = V2/T2
    PV = nRT

Energy conservation
    dU = dQ - dW

3. The attempt at a solution

I guess the solutions comes out rather simply once you know the conditions. The problem is I don't exactly know how the various factors (pressure, volume, density) are linked, how they affect each other. And thus I have no ground for assumptions. Could someone explain these for me? Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Consider the different parameters: P,V,T : are any of them constant?

4. Nov 10, 2012 #3
    The work done is W = ∫F dx = ∫m a dx = m∫a dx (from 0 to distance x)

a = dv/dt = (dv/dx)(dx/dt) = (dv/dx)v → a dx = v dv
    → ∫a dx (from 0 to distance x) = ∫v dv (from 0 to 1 m/s).

Thus, W = m∫v dv (from 0 to 1 m/s) = mv^2 /2

Assuming constant pressure (since you provided Cp for air), we have that the work done is:

W = ∫P dV = P∫dV = PV2 - PV1 = nRT2 - nRT1 = nRΔT. Hence, ΔT = W/nR.

Thus, the amount of heat absorbed by the gas = U + W = CpΔT + W = W(1 + Cp/(nR)) =

= mv^2(1+Cp/(nR))/2

Assuming only one mol (since you provided U for 1 mol):

Q = mv^2(1+Cp/(1 mol * R))/2

5. Nov 10, 2012 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

@LoadedAnvils:... usually we like to encourage people to do their own homework: the idea is that people learn best by doing the work themselves. What we normally do is try to help them get unstuck.

6. Nov 11, 2012 #5
    Oh, thanks LoadedAnvils! Our professor tries to avoid the use of calculus in questions he himself makes, so I didn't even thought of that. Well, guess it was needed this time! Thanks!

Simon Bridge, I think you can consider the pressure being constant, right? I was a little lost because I thought the room was closed, and then someone goes and, I don't know, drill a hole on the wall to make the air come out.
    So, since pressure is constant, we have

V1/T1 = V2/T2
    V2 = (100*298)/283 = 105,3 m³

or, 5,3 m³ of air left the room.
    Now we have to find the air density, say d2, under the new conditions. In the normal conditions, we have

d = m/V0 = 1,29 kg/m³

and so

V0 = m/1,29

Using Clayperon's equation for the final condition and the normal condition,

P0V0 = nRT0
    P2V2 = nRT2

or

V2 = (P0*V0*T2)/(P2*T0)

And thus

d2 = m/V2 = (m*P2*T0)/(P0*V0*T2) = (d*P2*T0)/(P0*T2) = 1,193 < 1,29

So the mass which left the room is 5,3 * 1,193 = 6,32kg.
    Could someone confirm this result for me? Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook