1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two Quick Questions Regarding Lasers - I hope this is the right place to ask

1. Jan 23, 2009 #1
    In my math class we were given an assignment to model lasers, we have been given equations, and terms have been somewhat defined, but I do not know what the following terms are when relating to a laser. Any help in defining them would be awesome!

What is:

Mirror Transmission,

Pump Strength?

Thanks for your time and any help you can provide!

PS:
    For those interested the equations given were:

dn/dt = GnN - kn
    dN/dt = -fN - GnN + P

Where n is the number of photons, N is the number of excited atoms, G > 0 is the
    gain coefficient for stimulated emission, k > 0 is the decay rate due to loss of photons by mirror transmission, scattering, etc., f > 0 is the decay rate for spontaneous emission, and P is the pump strength.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2009 #2

turin

Homework Helper

Mirror transmission is the probably the probability that a photon will exit the laser when it hits the mirror. Pump strength is probably the rate at which the pump excites the atoms. I am just using your equations to make these guesses.

4. Jan 24, 2009 #3

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

turin is correct. You can also think of mirror transmission as the percentage of power in an incident wave that is transmitted (vs. being reflected) by the mirror.

5. Jan 24, 2009 #4
    Thanks guys!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?