Two Velocities in a Traveling Wave

• Thread starter Solis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wave
In summary, a traveling wave is a wave that carries energy through space without displacing the medium. It has two velocities, the wave speed and the particle velocity, which are related by the equation v = λf. These velocities play a significant role in determining the properties and behavior of the wave and can be measured by timing the wave's travel time and using a particle velocity meter.
Solis

Homework Statement

http://img258.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mphw0xj.png

The answer I tried is selected.
Edit: Nevermind, I figured out that v_x = 0. The string doesn't move in the x direction while the wave does. (v_p is the velocity of the wave)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Glad you figured it out. I moved this from Advanced Physics to Intro Physics, BTW.

I can confirm that your reasoning is correct. The velocity of the wave, also known as the phase velocity (v_p), is the speed at which the wave travels through the medium. In this case, the medium is the string. However, the string itself does not move in the x direction, so its velocity (v_x) is equal to 0. This is because the wave is simply a disturbance traveling through the string, causing the particles of the string to oscillate without actually moving the string itself. Therefore, there are indeed two velocities involved in this traveling wave - the phase velocity and the string velocity - and they have different values due to the nature of the wave and the medium it is traveling through.

1. What is a traveling wave?

A traveling wave is a type of wave that propagates through space, without causing any permanent displacement of the medium. The wave carries energy from one location to another, without actually transporting any matter. Examples of traveling waves include sound waves, water waves, and electromagnetic waves.

2. What are the two velocities in a traveling wave?

The two velocities in a traveling wave are the wave speed and the particle velocity. The wave speed is the speed at which the wave travels through the medium, while the particle velocity is the speed at which individual particles in the medium oscillate as the wave passes through.

3. How are the two velocities related in a traveling wave?

The two velocities in a traveling wave are related by the equation v = λf, where v is the wave speed, λ is the wavelength, and f is the frequency. This means that as the frequency of the wave increases, the wave speed also increases. However, the particle velocity is not affected by changes in frequency.

4. What is the significance of the two velocities in a traveling wave?

The two velocities in a traveling wave play a crucial role in determining the properties and behavior of the wave. The wave speed determines how quickly the wave can travel through the medium, while the particle velocity affects the amplitude and intensity of the wave. Understanding these velocities can help predict the behavior of traveling waves in different mediums.

5. How can the two velocities be measured in a traveling wave?

The wave speed can be measured by timing how long it takes for a wave to travel a known distance through a medium. The particle velocity can be measured using a device called a particle velocity meter, which measures the speed and direction of individual particles as the wave passes through.