Type this into word or outlook, bug?

• Thread starter hxtasy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bug Type
In summary,-In Outlook 2016, the Hunter sentence does a full tab. Change the name to Mike, and it does only a space. The opposite of what happened with me in Word.-In Word 2016, the same as you describe.
hxtasy
messed up original post:

"Hunter is having a top cover re‑designed"

no period. now click the cursor right before the d in designed. hit tab, it will tab a single space. not a full tab.

change "Hunter" to "Mike" or any other name, it will do a full Tab. try a word like "re-test" or re-anything, it Tabs like normal.

what the heck, am i going crazy? just tried this on multiple instances of microsoft word and outlook email.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Doesnt happen on my Outlook.

Is it possible that it is assuming Hunter as the term for someone hunting instead of the proper name?

try this with a space at the end, don't do anything else except click the cursor back to in front of the d in designed

"Hunter is having a top cover re‑designed "

something is definitely not normal, because you can also do it as "re designed" without the hypen, and a varitey of other words, but the first words have to be there,

i just tried

Biker is having a top cover re-designed
and
Runner is having a top cover re-designed

nothing seems else seems to cause this.

hxtasy said:
messed up original post:

"Hunter is having a top cover re‑designed"

no period. now click the cursor right before the d in designed. hit tab, it will tab a single space. not a full tab.

change "Hunter" to "Mike" or any other name, it will do a full Tab. try a word like "re-test" or re-anything, it Tabs like normal.

what the heck, am i going crazy? just tried this on multiple instances of microsoft word and outlook email.
I can confirm the same happens to me in Word 2016.

In Outlook 2016, the Hunter sentence does a full tab. Change the name to Mike, and it does only a space. The opposite of what happened with me in Word.

i should add I am using word 2010. someone just confirmed not working in 2013, or no bug

hxtasy said:
i should add I am using word 2010. someone just confirmed not working in 2013, or no bug
You may not have seen this part of my last post, because I included it after a quick edit:
"In Outlook 2016, the Hunter sentence does a full tab. Change the name to Mike, and it does only a space. The opposite of what happened with me in Word."

StevieTNZ said:
I can confirm the same happens to me in Word 2016.

In Outlook 2016, the Hunter sentence does a full tab. Change the name to Mike, and it does only a space. The opposite of what happened with me in Word.
wait, you're saying it does the exact opposite of what i described? completely exact?

and if you use "re designed" without the hypen it still acts the same. and any other name change won't work.

hxtasy said:
wait, you're saying it does the exact opposite of what i described? completely exact?
In Outlook 2016, yes. But in Word 2016, the same as you describe.

hxtasy said:
and if you use "re designed" without the hypen it still acts the same. and any other name change won't work.
I'll give that a go now.

Using re designed instead of re-designed, the Hunter sentence in Word gives only a space. Mike gives a full tab.
In Outlook the same outcome occurs.

What happens when you turn on the Ruler feature that shows where the tab locations are? :smile:

Likes fresh_42
Did you copy this "space" to some other place? Maybe the tab just gets some weird position depending on the length of the text?

mfb said:
Did you copy this "space" to some other place? Maybe the tab just gets some weird position depending on the length of the text?
Tried that, and copying the apparent one space turns into a tab (in Word).

Here is another prediction: Get the "space", then make the text longer by one or two letters: the "space" will expand to a longer tab.
Add more letters and I would expect the tab to get smaller until it looks like a single space again.

Doing ruler based tabs with proportional fonts can give weird results. I have not tried, just supplying my guess. What happens when you spell Hunter backwards.

berkeman said:
What happens when you turn on the Ruler feature that shows where the tab locations are? :smile:
it still does the same actions with the ruler on or off, for me anways word 2010 outlook 2010

hxtasy said:
it still does the same actions with the ruler on or off, for me anways word 2010 outlook 2010
My point was whether it was snapping to the same fixed tab points or not. Just adding or subtracting characters and finding that the next tab position changes is not surprising, unless the tab points on the Ruler are actually moving as you do so.

There is a tab, but considering the text long before the “d”, the tab jump to the next stop which is short as a space.
You can see the tab with the paragraph option ctrl+(

Does changing font size make a difference?

1. How do I type something into Word or Outlook?

To type something into Word, open the program and click on a blank document. Use your keyboard to type in your desired text. To type something into Outlook, open the program and click on a new email or reply to an existing one. Use your keyboard to type in your desired text.

2. How do I fix a bug in Word or Outlook?

To fix a bug in Word or Outlook, first try restarting the program. If that doesn't work, check for any updates and install them if necessary. You can also try repairing the program or reinstalling it if the issue persists.

3. What should I do if my typed text is not showing up in Word or Outlook?

If your typed text is not showing up in Word or Outlook, first check to make sure your keyboard is working properly and that you are typing in the correct document or email. If the issue persists, try restarting the program or your computer. You can also try opening a new document or email to see if the issue is specific to one file.

4. How do I change the font or formatting of my typed text in Word or Outlook?

To change the font or formatting of your typed text in Word or Outlook, select the text you want to change and use the formatting options in the toolbar or under the "Home" tab. You can also right-click on the selected text and choose the formatting options from the drop-down menu.

5. Can I type in a different language in Word or Outlook?

Yes, you can type in a different language in Word or Outlook. You may need to install a language pack or enable the language in your computer's settings. Once the language is enabled, you can switch between languages using the language bar on your keyboard or by changing the language settings in the program.