Typical HS honors precalc curriculum?

In summary, the conversation is about a person looking for information on a typical outline and syllabus for HS honors precalc. They ask for any teachers or students currently taking the class to share what subjects and topics are covered. One person responds with a brief overview of what was covered in the class they took, including trigonometry, polar and parametric equations, functions, limits, and complex numbers. Another person shares a link to a website with a full list of lessons for the course. They mention that the course typically covers everything not covered in algebra, trigonometry, and limits, as well as some calculus.
dnt
any HS honors precalc teachers here? I am looking for a typical outline and syllabus for a typical year of HS honors precalc. what subjects and topics would be covered? thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone? id really appreciate it.

Uh, well I remember when I took it, we covered some trigonometry stuff (like some useful relationships between sine, cosine, tangent), some polar and parametric equations, studied functions (their holes, asymptotes, end behavior, domain and range etc.) briefly discussed limits, and worked with complex numbers.

It was pretty easy and I didn't pay a whole lot of attention, so I don't remember exactly, but that's basically what we did. Of course it might be different.

It's been a while, but I remember "precalc" being "everything you don't know about algebra/trig/limits" plus "as much calculus as we can cover."

thanks but does anyone have a full syllabus? any teachers or people taking the class now? its honors, not regular.

see http://epgy.stanford.edu/courses/math/M013/index.html" [Broken]

Click on "lessons" for a full list. I would expect that someone preparing to go into calculus would have at minimum exposure to most of those items.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the typical structure of a high school honors precalculus curriculum?

The typical structure of a high school honors precalculus curriculum starts with a review of algebra and geometry concepts, then moves on to cover topics such as functions, trigonometry, and conic sections. It may also include an introduction to limits and basic calculus concepts.

What are the main goals of a high school honors precalculus curriculum?

The main goals of a high school honors precalculus curriculum are to prepare students for higher level math courses such as calculus, to strengthen their algebra and geometry skills, and to introduce them to new mathematical concepts and problem-solving strategies.

What are some common teaching methods used in a high school honors precalculus class?

Some common teaching methods used in a high school honors precalculus class include lectures, group work, problem-solving activities, and hands-on projects. Teachers may also use technology, such as graphing calculators or online resources, to enhance learning.

How much time should be devoted to practicing math problems in a high school honors precalculus class?

The amount of time devoted to practicing math problems in a high school honors precalculus class may vary, but on average, students should spend at least 30-45 minutes each day outside of class practicing problems and reviewing material. This will help solidify their understanding and prepare them for assessments.

What are the major differences between a regular and honors precalculus curriculum?

The major differences between a regular and honors precalculus curriculum are the pace and depth of the material covered. In honors precalculus, students are expected to learn at a faster pace and dive deeper into the concepts. Honors classes may also have more challenging assignments and assessments, and may cover additional topics not included in a regular precalculus curriculum.