U.S. Solar Eclipse of Aug. 21, 2017

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter Borg
  • Start date
  • Featured
For each person in North America who sees the total eclipse, there will be 10 who only see the partial eclipse.

If you are supervising a herd of kids, trying to tell them don't look, I offer this suggestion. Adults can see that all small heads are safely in a box. Kids can make their own box as a craft project.

pinholeprojection.jpg

Likes Stavros Kiri, russ_watters, OmCheeto and 3 others
If you are supervising a herd of kids, trying to tell them don't look, I offer this suggestion. Adults can see that all small heads are safely in a box. Kids can make their own box as a craft project.
Great advice (and the price is right), I bought a pack of 25 viewing glasses off of Amazon a couple weeks ago and just received a letter from them saying they couldn't source the supplier so they were refunding my money and I shouldn't trust the glasses (which are printed with the correct ISO code).
It seems the market is being flooded with knock-off viewing glasses so I thought I'd post this site for reference. https://eclipse.aas.org/eye-safety/iso-certification

Likes OmCheeto
jim hardy
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
Dearly Missed
Thanks Anorlunda i sent it to all my kids. Grandson is in Boy Scouts , hopefully he can show the troop how to make them.

I understand resolution depends on size of pinhole ? So it's a tradeoff between sharpness and brightness. A light blocking cloth around the neck would be a good idea ?

Last one in Florida i held a cheapie 7X35 binocular to project an image onto a sheet of paper for a small crowd, left one lens cap on and it worked pretty well.
Got a nice compliment from our VP's drop-dead-gorgeous Admin Assistant . Just a smile from that lady would have melted the iceberg and saved Titanic.

old jim

Likes Stavros Kiri and OmCheeto
The pinhole box doesn't have to be high-tech. Even natural small holes, e. g. between leaves in a tree, can show this effect, and then you get lots of crescents.

Tree_shadow_during_an_annular_eclipse.jpg

Source

If you only have a partial eclipse, you can also hope for the right density of clouds. Safe naked eye viewing, and if it is too cloudy: the next partial eclipse won't be too far away.

Attachments

Likes Stavros Kiri, OmCheeto and 1oldman2
OmCheeto
Gold Member
Warning! Expletive post to follow!

2017.08.14.oh.dang.png

Warning! Expletive post to follow!

View attachment 208987
Ay Ay Ay. I sure hope that forecast is wrong. I'm driving from Vermont to Nebraska to get an optimum viewing chance. I already gave up my plans for Oregon. If it's cloudy, I'll scream. The local forecast in Nebraska for the 21st is partly cloudy.

Meanwhile in the Sun ... (new active spot region today (Mon. Aug 14, 2017), producing flares ...):
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...17-nice-spot-group.919696/page-2#post-5821897

+ cool flare video there too! If only the eclipse was today! ...

"
logo.png

New active region producing C-class flares

Monday, 14 August 2017 - 13:21 UTC

293-header.jpg

A new and unnumbered active region is now rotating into the earth-facing solar disk. It is new active region that only started to develop about 24 hours ago based on STEREO Ahead EUVI footage.

This video made using footage from SDO shows very clearly that it only recently started to develop as it rotated onto the earth-facing solar disk."

[Go to this link for the video:
https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en...14-new-active-region-producing-c-class-flares ]

"As a matter of fact, this newly born sunspot region already produced two C-class solar flares, the strongest of these two flares was a C2.7 solar flare that peaked today at 10:46 UTC. Will this become a sunspot region that has the potential to produce strong solar flares? Time will tell!"

Last edited:
Likes 1oldman2
dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm driving from Vermont to Nebraska to get an optimum viewing chance.
Hey. I'm going to be close by. I'll be at the Rush Airport.
map_kansas_troy.png

Likes anorlunda
Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Forecast at my planned location in SC is getting worse - now a 50% chance of precipitation.

From the Washington Post:
eclipse-forecast-08142017.jpg

OmCheeto
Gold Member
Ay Ay Ay. I sure hope that forecast is wrong. I'm driving from Vermont to Nebraska to get an optimum viewing chance. I already gave up my plans for Oregon. If it's cloudy, I'll scream. The local forecast in Nebraska for the 21st is partly cloudy.
Most of what I saw yesterday said "low confidence". I was just freaked out when I saw the image and Oregon was the only state covered in black. Now I can't remember where I snagged that image from.
Going now through the cities along the path, the image seems pretty bogus.

russ_watters
Mentor
Forecast at my planned location in SC is getting worse - now a 50% chance of precipitation.

From the Washington Post:
View attachment 209017
If you dont mind me asking, where are you going to be? I'll be north of Charleston.

Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
If you dont mind me asking, where are you going to be? I'll be north of Charleston.
Waterloo - halfway between Greenville and Columbia. A friend has a cabin about 3000 feet from the centerline.

Now it's at 40% chance of precipitation.

Last edited:
russ_watters
Mentor
Waterloo - halfway between Greenville and Columbia. A friend has a cabin about 3000 feet from the centerline.
Nice. I have a spot picked out at a visitor's center a couple of miles from the center, but it is small, first come first served and opens at 8. I plan to start orbiting around 7.

My main backup is Columbia, but I don't have a specific location set yet.

Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Driving from PA overnight?

russ_watters
Mentor
Driving from PA overnight?
Renting a house in Isle of Palms for the week; arrive Saturday.

Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Renting a house in Isle of Palms for the week; arrive Saturday.
I'll be driving from from Richmond Monday around 3 or 4am and hope to be there NLT 9am.

russ_watters
Mentor
I'll be driving from from Richmond Monday around 3 or 4am and hope to be there NLT 9am.
Yikes - just don't fall asleep during the eclipse!

Likes Stavros Kiri
Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Yikes - just don't fall asleep during the eclipse!
Not a problem. I normally get up at that time. :oldwink:

Likes Stavros Kiri
OmCheeto
Gold Member

Now it's at 40% chance of precipitation.
Now 30%!

The National Weather Service now has a web page devoted to the eclipse. As far as I can tell, it went active just today.

Oh, bejezeezits! That was my plan.....

Future wiki entry: "Worst traffic jam in America happened at 3 am, on August 21st, 2017."

Likes 1oldman2, Stavros Kiri, BillTre and 2 others
I first planned on Idaho, scrap that.

Next plan was Oregon, scrap that because of the anticipated cruise of people from California.

Third plan was Nebraska, scrap that because of weather.

We just scored a camp site in Land Between The Lakes, Kentucky. We got the last available site.

Local forecast for Monday is sunny. We can see 2:40 of totality right from the camp site.

Smile.

Likes 1oldman2, Stavros Kiri, jim hardy and 3 others
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Eclipse Popularity

Here is an XKCD comic of the eclipse:

Here is the map referred to (from this site):
eclipse.png

Here is another interesting map from the same article:
Screen-Shot-2017-08-01-at-10.26.41-AM.jpg

Likes Stavros Kiri, Greg Bernhardt, OmCheeto and 1 other person
jim hardy
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
Dearly Missed
I will likely end up near Perryville Missouri. Looks far enough from civilization to be not overrun, but all the motels are booked.

Likes Stavros Kiri
OmCheeto
Gold Member
Eclipse Popularity

Here is an XKCD comic of the eclipse:
eclipse_searches.png

:oldlaugh:

2017.08.15.pf.bring.water.png

I've been camping, in various forms, since 1979. (Actually, since ≈1962, but other people were in charge back then.)

I just dug out my 3 gallon water jug, that I'm pretty sure I haven't used in 25 years.
It took 20 minutes in the shower, to scrub off all the petrified cobwebs.

ps. Found this list on the internet the other day. I think it is mostly accurate.

16 things to have in your car for a solar eclipse road trip
1. A full tank of gas [Duh!]
2. Extra auto fluids {???]
3. Mobile phone and car charger [Still don't have one.]
4. Maps (the paper kind) [Is GPS supposed to go out? Guessing this is a "I-phone" thing.]
5. Extra cash (the paper kind) [This is a VERY GOOD idea, if going to a 300, about to become 10 million, populated rural area]
6. Extra medication [Goes without saying.]
7. First-aid kit [I was going to ixnay this, until I almost cut the end off my finger yesterday. OUCH! Band Aids!®]
8. Basic toolkit [Still thinking about this. Do I bring all my tools?]
9. Duct tape [I have a full roll, standing by, and ready]
10. Work gloves [Hadn't thought of that]
11. Jumper cables [I'm not bringing mine to jump my vehicle. Solar!]
12. Flashlight with extra batteries ["extra batteries" for your cameras. See my: "My batteries went dead" post]
13. Spare tire or flat kit [Probably a good idea]
14. Emergency flares or reflectors [In standstill traffic?]
15. Water [Non-fluoridated, of course]
16. Food [Canned. ps. don't forget your can opener! And a spoon!]​

Likes Stavros Kiri, mfb and BillTre
OmCheeto
Gold Member
ps. They forgot "coffee"

Did that one camping trip, many years ago.
Almost got married that day.

Long story.

snip!

Likes Stavros Kiri
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Here's a simulation that shows how the sizes of the Moon and Sun change over time as viewed from Earth's center

Notice how difficult it is to get a total eclipse in December or January when the Sun is large.

Simulation (runs in your browser): http://orbitsimulator.com/gravitySim...nMoonSize.html

Last edited:
Likes mfb, Stavros Kiri and OmCheeto