Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Featured Stargazing U.S. Solar Eclipse of Aug. 21, 2017

1. Jul 21, 2017 #161

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just double checked, and our reservation in Lincoln City that we made back in early September is still good and for the same price as when we booked. Now its just a matter of good weather :cool:. (and no Hag fish spilled on the road. We spent three nights in Depoe Bay last week, and got caught in the traffic jam caused by that accident for better than an hour. If that wasn't bad enough, we were on a fairly steep incline and I have a stick shift. It was clutch and brake, clutch and brake the entire time.)

2. Jul 21, 2017 #162

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

My next door neighbors parents own a bar in Depoe Bay. I mentioned the "Hag Fish" incident to him yesterday, saying; "That reminded me of you!"

Good thing he has a sense of humour.

ps. My brother owns a house in Waldport, where he says he'll be for the eclipse, with my grand-nephew. It's on the VERY southern edge of totality, meaning; 1 second of totality......

I did some interpolative [aka bad] maths the other day, and it appears that eclipse durations are kind of like Einstein's Lorentzian mass maths:

2017.07.21.eclipse.lorentz.png

All they have to do, is walk for an hour northward, and it will be... Wow......

Hopefully, my sister-in-law got my "Eclipses destroy Eyes!" message yesterday.
    My brother, although well meaning, is, IMHO, a bit daft.

3. Jul 21, 2017 #163

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

:oldlaugh:

Just checked out the wiki entry on "Mitchell Oregon", trying to determine the average night time temperature[44 - 52°F. Bring warm night time clothing!], and saw this at the end:

In popular culture
    In the novel World War Z[as in... Zombie!], by Max Brooks, the people of Mitchell are almost entirely infected and turned into zombies. Instead of being cleared, the town is sealed and is turned into the K-9 Urban Warfare school, where military dogs are trained with live zombies.

ps. I've never actually seen the movie.

4. Jul 22, 2017 #164

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

upload_2017-7-22_11-13-32.png

My spot..... I'll be driving home from Texas to see the eclipse....

5. Jul 22, 2017 #165

anorlunda

Staff: Mentor

The web site that gave you numbers for the spot you clicked looks useful. Do you have a link for it?

6. Jul 22, 2017 #166

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

7. Jul 22, 2017 #167

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That's likely near where i'll wind up. That's only a three hour drive for me.
    Things are just not falling in to place for a run way out west, family complications ...

Tried my welder's helmet on the noonday sun. It has a #10 lens and i just duct-taped another #10 in front of it. Sun is a nice yellow disc .
    Helmet needs a blocking cloth in back , ambient light makes reflections on inside of lens..

8. Jul 22, 2017 #168

1oldman2

Gold Member

9. Jul 22, 2017 #169

mfb

2016 Award

I expect that this site underestimates the number of visitors, especially in the west, far away from the 2024 eclipse path:

10. Jul 22, 2017 #170

1oldman2

Gold Member

I believe the "stat" page I linked was only concerned with the event on the 21st, The 2024 show will be "Full House" over almost it's entire path due to the populated area it's covering, vastly different demographics from this years Eclipse. I have Family in both Lincoln City, Oregon and Thermopolis, Wyoming, after seeing the odds of favorable weather at both locations I've decided on being a little south of Thermopolis unless the weather goes to hell. Contingency spot is Mt. Borah, although my wife and I have hiked that area many times we won't be trying the peak due to her health. (Isn't it ironic how the edge of the Eclipse just brushes the northern part of "Craters of the moon". :smile:

11. Jul 22, 2017 #171

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Twas a similar video of Mt. Jefferson, that made me sad I'm so old.

I was actually devising plans of buying bolt cutters to get through forestry service gates, camping at just below the peak the night before, etc, etc. Fortunately, the logistical problems nipped that idea in the butt.

12. Jul 22, 2017 #172

1oldman2

Gold Member

Most people just hook on a stout chain and take off in low gear. (Not that I'm advocating vandalism of forest service gates) Actually the best hiking is behind those gates due to the lack of traffic.
    Don't get me started.:frown:
    All said that Mt. Jefferson looks awesome. :thumbup:

13. Jul 22, 2017 #173

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Just found another video of climbing the mountain made around this time last year.

Ehr mehr gerd......

Near the end, you can see it's "above the clouds".

Love his quote at the end; "If you want to experience fantastic things, you need to put yourself, in fantastic places."

14. Jul 22, 2017 #174

mfb

2016 Award

Sure, and I think they underestimate the number of people interested in it.

I mentioned the 2024 eclipse because someone close to the line of totality then has a smaller incentive to see the eclipse next month.

15. Jul 22, 2017 #175

BillTre

Science Advisor

I was reading an article about photographing the eclipse that pointed out the following:

If you are at a relatively high vantage point, you might be able to see the shadow of the moon as it is sweeping across lower areas, before and after the eclipse occurs at your specific location.
    I would like to make a video of this but I feel I will be lucky to find such a high vantage place since they are not obvious on maps.
    Maybe a butte or cliff next to a river.

16. Jul 22, 2017 #176

mfb

2016 Award

You can observe the same effect, but a bit less spectacular, if you are at a low point but have mountains nearby. Several kilometers of view are advisable, but that doesn't need a proper mountain, many hills work.

17. Jul 25, 2017 #177

BillTre

Science Advisor

This links to a video, from space, of the shadow of the moon, on the earth, during a recent eclipse.

18. Jul 25, 2017 #178

1oldman2

Gold Member

I hadn't noticed the "Mercury aspect" of this project.
    https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2017/chasing-the-total-solar-eclipse-from-nasa-s-wb-57f-jets
    "Observations of Mercury will also be taken a half-hour before and after totality, when the sky is still relatively dark. These images, taken in the infrared, will be the first attempt to map the variation of temperature across the surface of the planet.
    The images of the corona will also allow the team to search for a hypothesized family of asteroids called vulcanoids. Its thought these objects orbit between the Sun and Mercury, and are leftover from the formation of the solar system. If discovered, vulcanoids could change what scientists understand about planet formation."

19. Jul 25, 2017 #179

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Vulcanoids?

Oh good grief, ain't nobody got time to be looking for "oh, and bye the way, can you look for these hypothetical thingys?"

Unless of course, someone can point me to a "one-size-fits-all" camera that will fit on my 3" telescope, that costs less than $200, and if it would even be worth it.
    I'm a tad over budget this year.

ps. I am so tired of "eclipse maths".........
    Yesterday I worked out the "If my brother owns a house at the coast, 2 miles from the edge of the total eclipse, should I go there, and what's the value added by walking for an hour in the correct direction?" maths problem, given that I think I can walk at 2 mph.

pf.2017.07.25.two.hours.will.do.eclipse.png

pf.graphy.maths.2017.07.25.eclipse.png

Given that it is "now" eclipse time, and it is quite hazy here, I think I should get ready for a road trip, in the opposite direction.

20. Jul 25, 2017 #180

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I got invited to the river two days ago, for the "sole" purpose of discussing the eclipse.
    Of the 8 hours I was there, we discussed the eclipse for maybe 10 minutes.
    One of my friends, 6 years my senior, said she was at Maryhill WA, and didn't think it was that big a deal.

After looking at videos from the period, I can understand why.

Do not take drugs before the eclipse. They will make you stoopid, and dance like a hippie, and miss the whole thing.

ps. Young peeps, never ever ask old people about the "70's".........

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted