Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Featured Stargazing U.S. Solar Eclipse of Aug. 21, 2017

1. Aug 14, 2017 #201

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For each person in North America who sees the total eclipse, there will be 10 who only see the partial eclipse.

If you are supervising a herd of kids, trying to tell them don't look, I offer this suggestion. Adults can see that all small heads are safely in a box. Kids can make their own box as a craft project.

pinholeprojection.jpg

2. Aug 14, 2017 #202

1oldman2

Gold Member

Great advice (and the price is right), I bought a pack of 25 viewing glasses off of Amazon a couple weeks ago and just received a letter from them saying they couldn't source the supplier so they were refunding my money and I shouldn't trust the glasses (which are printed with the correct ISO code).
    It seems the market is being flooded with knock-off viewing glasses so I thought I'd post this site for reference. https://eclipse.aas.org/eye-safety/iso-certification

3. Aug 14, 2017 #203

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Thanks Anorlunda i sent it to all my kids. Grandson is in Boy Scouts , hopefully he can show the troop how to make them.

I understand resolution depends on size of pinhole ? So it's a tradeoff between sharpness and brightness. A light blocking cloth around the neck would be a good idea ?

Last one in Florida i held a cheapie 7X35 binocular to project an image onto a sheet of paper for a small crowd, left one lens cap on and it worked pretty well.
    Got a nice compliment from our VP's drop-dead-gorgeous Admin Assistant . Just a smile from that lady would have melted the iceberg and saved Titanic.

old jim

4. Aug 14, 2017 #204

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The pinhole box doesn't have to be high-tech. Even natural small holes, e. g. between leaves in a tree, can show this effect, and then you get lots of crescents.

Tree_shadow_during_an_annular_eclipse.jpg
    Source

If you only have a partial eclipse, you can also hope for the right density of clouds. Safe naked eye viewing, and if it is too cloudy: the next partial eclipse won't be too far away.

Attached Files:

5. Aug 14, 2017 #205

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Warning! Expletive post to follow!

2017.08.14.oh.shit.png

6. Aug 14, 2017 #206

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ay Ay Ay. I sure hope that forecast is wrong. I'm driving from Vermont to Nebraska to get an optimum viewing chance. I already gave up my plans for Oregon. If it's cloudy, I'll scream. The local forecast in Nebraska for the 21st is partly cloudy.

7. Aug 14, 2017 #207
    Meanwhile in the Sun ... (new active spot region today (Mon. Aug 14, 2017), producing flares ...):
    https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...17-nice-spot-group.919696/page-2#post-5821897

+ cool flare video there too! If only the eclipse was today! ...

" logo.png
    New active region producing C-class flares

Monday, 14 August 2017 - 13:21 UTC

293-header.jpg

A new and unnumbered active region is now rotating into the earth-facing solar disk. It is new active region that only started to develop about 24 hours ago based on STEREO Ahead EUVI footage.

This video made using footage from SDO shows very clearly that it only recently started to develop as it rotated onto the earth-facing solar disk."

[Go to this link for the video:
    https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en...14-new-active-region-producing-c-class-flares ]

"As a matter of fact, this newly born sunspot region already produced two C-class solar flares, the strongest of these two flares was a C2.7 solar flare that peaked today at 10:46 UTC. Will this become a sunspot region that has the potential to produce strong solar flares? Time will tell!"

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  8. Aug 15, 2017 #208

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hey. I'm going to be close by. I'll be at the Rush Airport.
    map_kansas_troy.png

9. Aug 15, 2017 #209

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Forecast at my planned location in SC is getting worse - now a 50% chance of precipitation.

From the Washington Post:
    eclipse-forecast-08142017.jpg

10. Aug 15, 2017 #210

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Most of what I saw yesterday said "low confidence". I was just freaked out when I saw the image and Oregon was the only state covered in black. Now I can't remember where I snagged that image from.
    Going now through the cities along the path, the image seems pretty bogus.

11. Aug 15, 2017 #211

russ_watters

If you dont mind me asking, where are you going to be? I'll be north of Charleston.

12. Aug 15, 2017 #212

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Waterloo - halfway between Greenville and Columbia. A friend has a cabin about 3000 feet from the centerline.

Now it's at 40% chance of precipitation.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  13. Aug 15, 2017 #213

russ_watters

Nice. I have a spot picked out at a visitor's center a couple of miles from the center, but it is small, first come first served and opens at 8. I plan to start orbiting around 7.

My main backup is Columbia, but I don't have a specific location set yet.

14. Aug 15, 2017 #214

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Driving from PA overnight?

15. Aug 15, 2017 #215

russ_watters

Renting a house in Isle of Palms for the week; arrive Saturday.

16. Aug 15, 2017 #216

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'll be driving from from Richmond Monday around 3 or 4am and hope to be there NLT 9am.

17. Aug 15, 2017 #217

russ_watters

Yikes - just don't fall asleep during the eclipse!

18. Aug 15, 2017 #218

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not a problem. I normally get up at that time. :oldwink:

19. Aug 15, 2017 #219

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Now 30%!

The National Weather Service now has a web page devoted to the eclipse. As far as I can tell, it went active just today.

Oh, bejezeezits! That was my plan.....

Future wiki entry: "Worst traffic jam in America happened at 3 am, on August 21st, 2017."

20. Aug 15, 2017 #220

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I first planned on Idaho, scrap that.

Next plan was Oregon, scrap that because of the anticipated cruise of people from California.

Third plan was Nebraska, scrap that because of weather.

We just scored a camp site in Land Between The Lakes, Kentucky. We got the last available site.

Local forecast for Monday is sunny. We can see 2:40 of totality right from the camp site.

Smile.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted