1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

U+v in subspace W, is u or v in subspace

1. Jul 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

My question is if u+v is in the subspace can you say that u or v is in the subspace? If not would there be a counterexample?

2. Relevant equations

closed under addition/scalar multiplication

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that if u or v were in the subspace they would be closed under addition or multiplication. I don't know if you can say the same for (u+v) and apply it just to u or v.

Thank you for any help.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

{0} is a subspace of R, a one-dimensional vector space. Are there vectors in R, that add to 0, that aren't in the subspace?

BTW, we don't talk about vectors being closed under addition or scalar multiplication - we talk about the space they belong to as being closed under addition or scalar multiplication.

4. Jul 23, 2012 #3
    Just making sure I have this correctly, that would mean that a or b is not in the vector space, just a+b. Thank you for the quick response.

5. Jul 23, 2012 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Don't think of a + b as being two things: it's a single thing. a and b are two vectors that happen to add up to whatever value a + b represents.

6. Jul 24, 2012 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, its as 0 dimension vector space. But your point is correct.

7. Jul 24, 2012 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

For example, the subset of R2, {(x, y)|y= x} is a subspace. The vectors (1, 0) and (1, 2) are not in that subspace but their sum, (2, 2), is.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook