1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

UCL grad school - astrophysics plus engineering

1. Oct 31, 2009 #1
    UCL grad school -- astrophysics plus engineering

Hi,

I am thinking about applying to the UCL grad school in something combining astrophysics/instrumentation/planetary. Is UCL any good? I am an non EU European, and I see that UCL has better studentships than Oxbridge --- around 15k compared to 12k. Also, it states that its involved in a lot of projects..

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2009 #2
    Re: UCL grad school -- astrophysics plus engineering

I did a summer research studentship with the astrophys dept at UCL this summer and highly recommend it. Actually, I'm considering going there for grad school as well for astrophysics.

I don't know how it compares to Oxbridge, but the people are excellent and area is very nice. I'm also non-EU but they were very accomodating in getting me situated. As far as projects go, it is pretty diverse as far as astro/intru/planetary go. I'm not sure how closely the astrophysics dept works with UCL's CoMpLeX (astrobiology/planetary science stuff) department, but my general impression was that they were.

They have a booming cosmology sector (who doesn't these days?) and a pretty solid stellar astrophyics area as well. The instrumentation part is less well-known to me but they do have joint access with the ULO observatory which is a fantastic place to go, visit and learn as well.

Can you elaborate some on those studentships, though? I'm kind of curious myself...

4. Nov 1, 2009 #3
    Re: UCL grad school -- astrophysics plus engineering

Some kind of UCL graduate school grants. Found info on UCL pages.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook