UCL grad school - astrophysics plus engineering

In summary, the conversation discusses the UCL grad school and its programs in astrophysics, instrumentation, and planetary science. The speaker is considering applying and notes that UCL has better studentships than Oxbridge. They also mention that UCL is involved in various projects and that they had a positive experience with the astrophysics department during a summer research studentship. Another speaker shares their experience as a non-EU European student at UCL and mentions the strong cosmology and stellar astrophysics areas. They also mention the joint access with the ULO observatory and inquire about the studentships at UCL.
lledd
UCL grad school -- astrophysics plus engineering

Hi,

I am thinking about applying to the UCL grad school in something combining astrophysics/instrumentation/planetary. Is UCL any good? I am an non EU European, and I see that UCL has better studentships than Oxbridge --- around 15k compared to 12k. Also, it states that its involved in a lot of projects..

Physics news on Phys.org

I did a summer research studentship with the astrophys dept at UCL this summer and highly recommend it. Actually, I'm considering going there for grad school as well for astrophysics.

I don't know how it compares to Oxbridge, but the people are excellent and area is very nice. I'm also non-EU but they were very accomodating in getting me situated. As far as projects go, it is pretty diverse as far as astro/intru/planetary go. I'm not sure how closely the astrophysics dept works with UCL's CoMpLeX (astrobiology/planetary science stuff) department, but my general impression was that they were.

They have a booming cosmology sector (who doesn't these days?) and a pretty solid stellar astrophyics area as well. The instrumentation part is less well-known to me but they do have joint access with the ULO observatory which is a fantastic place to go, visit and learn as well.

Can you elaborate some on those studentships, though? I'm kind of curious myself...

Some kind of UCL graduate school grants. Found info on UCL pages.

1. What is the admission process for UCL grad school in astrophysics and engineering?

The admission process for UCL grad school in astrophysics and engineering typically involves submitting an online application, including academic transcripts, a personal statement, and letters of recommendation. Additionally, applicants may need to take entrance exams such as the GRE or GMAT, and participate in an interview process.

2. What is the curriculum like for the UCL astrophysics and engineering program?

The curriculum for UCL astrophysics and engineering program is designed to provide students with a strong foundation in both astrophysics and engineering principles. Courses may include topics such as astrophysics, cosmology, electronics, and spacecraft design. Students may also have the opportunity to participate in research projects and practical work.

3. What career opportunities are available for graduates of the UCL astrophysics and engineering program?

Graduates of the UCL astrophysics and engineering program may pursue careers in a variety of fields, including aerospace engineering, astrophysics research, data analysis, and space technology development. They may also choose to continue their education through a PhD program.

4. Are there any specific prerequisites for the UCL astrophysics and engineering program?

While specific prerequisites may vary, most applicants to the UCL astrophysics and engineering program are expected to have a strong background in mathematics and physics. Some prior coursework or experience in engineering or astrophysics may also be beneficial.

5. What is the student experience like at UCL for astrophysics and engineering graduate students?

The student experience at UCL for astrophysics and engineering graduate students is highly collaborative and interdisciplinary. Students have access to state-of-the-art facilities and resources, as well as the opportunity to work with renowned faculty and researchers. The university also offers a variety of extracurricular activities and events to enhance the overall student experience.