Uncertain about volume of bounded region question

In summary: So, in summary, the question is asking to find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by the curves y=lnX, y = 1, y = 2, and x = 0 about the y-axis. The region has a trapezoidal shape and is bounded by the purple and light brown lines on the provided graph. The volume can be calculated using the area of disks stacked vertically, with the distance from the y-axis to the lnX curve being e^y. The integral to find the volume is \int_{0}^{2}\pi(e^{2y})dy -\int_{0}^{1}\pi(e^{2y})dy.
warfreak131

Homework Statement

The question states:

Find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by the given curves about the specified line.

The lines are, y=lnX, y = 1, y = 2, and x = 0, rotated about the y-axis.

I know how to integrate it, I just don't exactly know which region I'm taking the volume of, so I am having trouble setting up the integration problem.

I have provided a graph of the curves.

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/2071/boundregion.png

EDIT:

I think I got it, here's my attempt at the solution:

I'm going to use the area of circles method going vertical. So I find the distance from the y-axis to the lnX curve, which is equal to [tex]e^y[/tex]. From there I do [tex]\int_{0}^{2}\pi(e^{2y})dy -\int_{0}^{1}\pi(e^{2y})dy[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The region being revolved is bounded below by the line y = 1, above by the line y = 2, on the right by y = ln x, and on the left by the line x = 0. On your graph, this region has a roughly trapezoidal shape, and lies between the purple line and the light brown line. You first integral (it should include dy) gives you the volume of the rotated region.

BTW, you are integrating by using disks, not circles.

And the disks are horizontal, not vertical.

HallsofIvy said:
And the disks are horizontal, not vertical.

I meant that the disks are stacked on top of each other vertically.

1. What is a bounded region?

A bounded region is an area within a 2D or 3D space that is enclosed by a set of boundaries, such as lines, curves, or surfaces.

2. How do you calculate the volume of a bounded region?

The volume of a bounded region can be calculated by using various mathematical methods, such as integration, cross-sectional area, or geometric formulas. The specific method used will depend on the shape and complexity of the bounded region.

3. What does it mean when a question asks for the volume of a bounded region?

When a question asks for the volume of a bounded region, it is referring to the amount of space that is enclosed within the boundaries of the given region. This can also be thought of as the capacity of the region.

4. How do you determine the boundaries of a bounded region?

The boundaries of a bounded region can be determined by analyzing the given information, such as equations, inequalities, or geometric properties. It is important to carefully consider all relevant information in order to accurately define the boundaries of the region.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating the volume of a bounded region?

The volume of a bounded region has many practical applications, such as in engineering, architecture, and physics. It can be used to determine the capacity of containers, design structures, and analyze the behavior of fluids and gases in confined spaces.