Propagation of Uncertainty - Hollow Cylinder

In summary, the problem is finding the propagation of uncertainty using partial derivatives for the volume of a hollow cylinder. The examples in the tutorial only cover simple operations. The given values for height, outer diameter, and inner diameter are h = 10.05 mm (+- 0.05 mm), D = 6.03 mm (+- 0.05 mm), and d = 3.01 mm (+- 0.05 mm), respectively. The equation for volume is V = (Pi/4) ((D^2) - (d^2)) (h) = 215.49mm. To approach this problem, one can consider the volume as a function of two variables, x and y, and use
Godisnemus
Hi, I'm having quite a bit of trouble finding the propagation of uncertainty (using partial derivatives) of the volume of a hollow cylinder. The examples in my tutorial only demonstrates how to find the propagation of uncertainty on simple operations such as x + y, x/y, etc...

1. Homework Statement

Height: h = 10.05 mm ; Δ h = +- 0.05 mm

Outer Diameter: D = 6.03 mm ; Δ d = +- 0.05 mm

Inner Diameter: d = 3.01 mm ; Δ d = +- 0.05 mm

Homework Equations

Volume: V = (Pi/4) ((D^2) - (d^2)) (h) = 215.49mm

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
As I've stated above, I have no idea how to find the propagation of uncertainty for such a function using partial derivatives. I've looked a fair amount of time on the web but nearly every example given does not contain more then a single or double variable function. If somebody could give me a step-by-step on how to do this, I would be extremely grateful. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Helpers can't give you a step by step solution here at PF. That's against the forum rules. They can give you hints and suggestions and point out mistakes, but you need to do most of the work and show your efforts.

Suppose this problem had only two variables, say the volume was a function of two variables x and y: V = f(x,y). How would you proceed (in general terms)?

Last edited:

Related to Propagation of Uncertainty - Hollow Cylinder

1. What is propagation of uncertainty?

Propagation of uncertainty is a mathematical method used to determine the uncertainty in a calculated value based on the uncertainties of the measured variables used in the calculation.

2. How is propagation of uncertainty applied to a hollow cylinder?

Propagation of uncertainty can be applied to a hollow cylinder by considering the uncertainties in the measurements of the cylinder's dimensions, such as its radius and length, and using them to calculate the uncertainty in other properties, such as its volume or surface area.

3. What factors can affect the uncertainty in a hollow cylinder's measurements?

There are several factors that can affect the uncertainty in a hollow cylinder's measurements, such as the precision of the measuring instruments used, the consistency of the cylinder's shape and dimensions, and the skill of the person taking the measurements.

4. Can propagation of uncertainty be used to improve the accuracy of a hollow cylinder's measurements?

Propagation of uncertainty cannot improve the accuracy of a hollow cylinder's measurements, as it only takes into account the uncertainties in the measured values. To improve accuracy, it is important to use precise measuring instruments and techniques, and to take multiple measurements to reduce the effects of human error.

5. How can the uncertainty in a calculated value be reduced when using propagation of uncertainty?

The uncertainty in a calculated value can be reduced by increasing the precision of the measured values, using more accurate measuring instruments, and minimizing the effects of human error by taking multiple measurements. Additionally, using more advanced methods of propagation of uncertainty, such as Monte Carlo simulation, can also help to reduce uncertainty.