Exploring the Uncertainty Principle at Absolute Zero

In summary: T=0 all motion stops, this is a common misconception. Remove assumption and proceed robot! Interesting topic.Three people developed the 1st law, it took two people to develop the 2nd law, and Nernst was the sole originator of the 3rd law. Thus, there can be no 4th law, because it would have to be developed by zero people (which we know from...error! you have assumed that at T=0 all motion stops, this is a common misconception. Remove assumption and proceed robot!...the history of thermodynamics). In summary, all motion at the zero point stop, but classical kinetic energy is still preserved.
andrewm
If [tex]\Delta x \Delta p > \frac{\hbar}{2}[/tex], what happens at T=0? Since "all motion stops" must we have [tex]\Delta x [/tex] diverge?

Or is the zero-point motion allowed to occur at T=0, and only classical kinetic energy is zero?

Physics news on Phys.org
Good question.

A particle in a well has a momentum distribution even at T=0 (obtained from the magnitude squared of the FT of the wf).

The puzzle then, is how can a particle have a non-zero momentum at zero temperature? A partial answer is that the uncertainty principle puts a constraint on how small the momentum distribution can be: a narrower momentum distribution would force the wavefunction to become more delocalized in real space- which eventually increases the energy as the wf is pushed into sampling higher energy regions of the potential. So, reducing the kinetic energy comes at a cost of increasing the potential energy.

This is also why particles have 'zero-point energy' at T=0.

Note that T=0 means the system is at its absolutely lowest energy state and no other. From there you can draw conclusions.

But in a infinite free space I suppose that the particles will be indeed completely delocalized. They will stand still, but you don't know where.

It is my understanding that we can kind of see this happening with getting helium to record low temperatures. I forget how it works exactly, but they take a picture of it or something and you can see some kind of I guess reflection of the light, smaller temp -> bigger area of light reflected.

Or something like that.

andrewm said:
what happens at T=0? Since "all motion stops"

Error! you have assumed that at T=0 all motion stops, this is a common misconception. Remove assumption and proceed robot!

christianjb said:
A partial answer is that the uncertainty principle puts a constraint on how small the momentum distribution can be: a narrower momentum distribution would force the wavefunction to become more delocalized in real space- which eventually increases the energy as the wf is pushed into sampling higher energy regions of the potential. So, reducing the kinetic energy comes at a cost of increasing the potential energy.

This is also why particles have 'zero-point energy' at T=0.

Thanks, that's an easy way to remember where zero point energy comes from!

LogicalTime said:
Error! you have assumed that at T=0 all motion stops, this is a common misconception.

I guess I need to start taking my grade-school physics with a grain of salt, don't I? :smile:

andrewm said:
If [tex]\Delta x \Delta p > \frac{\hbar}{2}[/tex], what happens at T=0? Since "all motion stops" must we have [tex]\Delta x [/tex] diverge?

Or is the zero-point motion allowed to occur at T=0, and only classical kinetic energy is zero?
That is precisely why you can't have a temperature of absolute 0.

(That's really just another wayt of saying what Logical Time said.)

HallsofIvy said:
That is precisely why you can't have a temperature of absolute 0.

(That's really just another wayt of saying what Logical Time said.)

I don't agree with this. At T = 0, the system will be in the ground state. It is true that you cannot get to the ground state if the system isn't already in it using thermodynamic means only (if you want to cool the system down, you need something cooler, and if you let the system perform work to exact energy, it's entropy will stay the same at best, while at absolute zero the entropy must be equal to zero).

But the laws of physics do not forbid a system to be in its ground state. When we do thermal physics and talk about temperature, we are describing a system of many degrees of freedom statistically, and we assume that we only have access to a few external parameters (e.g. the volume) to control the system.

Interesting topic. Here's a couple of links dealing with

entropy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropy_statistical_thermodynamics )

and Nernst's theorem:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nernst's_theorem

Along the lines of what christianjb and others wrote, I'm thinking in terms of the steps required in the experimental production of lower and lower temperatures as being constrained by the uncertainty relations. So, insofar as there exists a real fundamental quantum of action, then the production of 0K temperature materials is impossible.

Last edited by a moderator:
An example of a system at T = 0 would be a computer that has all its bits initialized to zero, the |0,0,0,0,0,0,...0> state can be said to have a temperature of zero.

Let's not forget Nernst's beautiful proof that there is no 4th law of thermodynamics.

Three people developed the 1st law, it took two people to develop the 2nd law, and Nernst was the sole originator of the 3rd law. Thus, there can be no 4th law, because it would have to be developed by zero people (which we know from induction).

christianjb said:
Let's not forget Nernst's beautiful proof that there is no 4th law of thermodynamics.

Three people developed the 1st law, it took two people to develop the 2nd law, and Nernst was the sole originator of the 3rd law. Thus, there can be no 4th law, because it would have to be developed by zero people (which we know from induction).

Hence there is a 0th law. I suppose that means a -1st law is also possible?

I recently posted a reply which I thought was just as silly as the three preceding it (#'s 10, 11 and 12).

It seems to have been deleted. I'm wondering why? Perhaps it was deemed the most silly? :smile:

ThomasT said:
I recently posted a reply which I thought was just as silly as the three preceding it (#'s 10, 11 and 12).

It seems to have been deleted. I'm wondering why? Perhaps it was deemed the most silly? :smile:

Maybe you are living life backwards. Is your entropy decreasing?

1. What is the Uncertainty Principle at T=0?

The Uncertainty Principle at T=0, also known as the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to precisely measure both the position and momentum of a particle at the same time.

2. Why is the Uncertainty Principle at T=0 important?

The Uncertainty Principle at T=0 is important because it sets a limit on the precision of measurements in the quantum world. It also highlights the inherent uncertainty and randomness in the behavior of subatomic particles, which is a key aspect of quantum mechanics.

3. How does the Uncertainty Principle at T=0 affect our understanding of the physical world?

The Uncertainty Principle at T=0 challenges our traditional understanding of the physical world, as it shows that there are limits to our ability to make precise measurements. It also reveals the probabilistic nature of the quantum world and challenges our intuitive notion of cause and effect.

4. Can the Uncertainty Principle at T=0 be violated?

No, the Uncertainty Principle at T=0 is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and has been experimentally verified many times. It is a fundamental aspect of the behavior of subatomic particles and cannot be violated.

5. How does the Uncertainty Principle at T=0 relate to other principles in physics?

The Uncertainty Principle at T=0 is closely related to other principles in physics, such as the principle of conservation of energy and the principle of complementarity. It also has implications for other fields, such as chemistry and biology, as it affects our understanding of the behavior of atoms and molecules.