1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uncertainty principle in terms of expectations values in Dirac notatio

1. Feb 25, 2013 #1

Leb

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that
    [itex](\Delta A)^{2} = \langle \psi |A^{2}| \psi \rangle - \langle \psi |A| \psi \rangle ^{2}\\
    \phantom{(\Delta A)^{2} }=\langle \psi | (A - \langle A \rangle )^{2} | \psi \rangle ,[/itex]
    where [itex]\Delta A[/itex] is the uncertainty of an operator A and [itex]\langle A \rangle [/itex] is the expectation value of A.
    2. Relevant equations
    [itex] \langle \psi |A| \psi \rangle = \langle A \rangle [/itex]
    completeness relation: [itex] |\psi \rangle = \sum_{n}b_{n}|\psi_{n}\rangle [/itex]. We can use the completeness relation to expand out any wavefunction and derive an expression for the expectation value in terms of the weights in the expansion.

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried expanding the first line and got up to [itex] \sum_{n}\left( b_{n}^{2}a_{n}^{2} - b_{n}^{2}a_{n} \right) [/itex]. To be honest, I am jsut guessing the left result with the square term.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2013 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Uncertainty principle in terms of expectations values in Dirac not

You don't need the completeness relation. This is a standard calculation, if you assume everything to be well-defined mathematically. Start with the definitions and show where you get 'lost'.

4. Feb 25, 2013 #3

Leb

To be honest I do not know the definition of it. It was just introduced as a notation and that is all I know. I've looked up online and it does not seem to me to have a formal definition, just notation.

I checked that it has linearity and associativity properties, but do not see how they help.

I have spent maybe 4 hours on this and am feeling like the idiot I am.

Anyway, I tried expanding the second line to get

[itex] \langle \psi|(A-\langle A \rangle )^2|\psi \rangle = \langle \psi|A^2 -2A\langle A \rangle + \langle A \rangle ^2 |\psi \rangle = \langle \psi|A^{2}|\psi \rangle + \langle \psi | \langle A \rangle ^2 |\psi \rangle - \langle \psi | 2A\langle A\rangle | \psi \rangle [/itex]
    Realizing that <A> should be a number (found it somewhere in these forums). How do I now get rid of -2A<A> and get - instead of +?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  5. Feb 25, 2013 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For A being a (compact self-adjoint) linear operator acting everywhere on a complex (separable) Hilbert space, the definition of [itex] \Delta A [/itex] for a (pure) state [itex] \psi [/itex] is

[tex] \Delta A =: \sqrt{\left\langle \psi \left| \left(A-\langle A\rangle_{\psi}\hat{1}\right)^2 \right| \psi\right\rangle} [/tex]

6. Feb 25, 2013 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The 3rd term is (-2) times the second one. Can you see why ?

7. Feb 25, 2013 #6

Leb

Because [itex]\langle \psi | 2A\langle A\rangle | \psi \rangle = \langle \psi | 2A\langle\psi | A |\psi \rangle | \psi \rangle = \langle \psi | 2AA\langle\psi |\psi \rangle | \psi \rangle = \langle \psi | 2A^{2} | \psi \rangle = 2A^{2}\langle \psi | \psi \rangle [/itex] ?
    And it does not have to be a_{n}^{2} because we can choose whether we are interested in an eigenfunction or eigenvalue ?

I think my problem is that I am not comfortable manipulating them.

8. Feb 25, 2013 #7

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not really <A> is a number, so

<psi|2A<A>|psi> = 2<A> <psi|A|psi> = 2<A> <A> = 2<A>2

9. Feb 25, 2013 #8

Leb

Now I am confused even more... Where was my manipulation wrong ? I thought <A>=<psi|A|psi>... Or was your step simply correct in this particular situation due to insight ?

Anyway, thank you for your help! At least I know how to solve it. Still not sure how I can manipulate them and why I cannot always just factor out something from inside the bra-ket.

10. Feb 25, 2013 #9

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, but A is an operator, you can't equate A to a number such <psi|A|psi>, nor take it out of the bra-ket.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted