Unclear about the Heisenberg uncertainty principle

• Thread starter Nerro
  • Start date
Hi everybody,

I have a slightly noobish question and I've searched for the answer unsuccesfully so I'm posting it here.

I'm was reading up on the uncertainty priciple when I ran into two phrases that I don't quite understand. They are <A²> and <A>². Am I too apply this as [tex]\int \psi^* A^2 \psi d\tau[/tex] and [tex]\int(\psi^*A\psi)^2 d\tau[/tex]?

Without understanding this the heisenberg uncertainty principle makes not much sense to me...

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Meir Achuz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Your <A^2> is correct, but [tex]<A>^2=[\int\psi^* A\psi d\tau]^2.[/tex]

So [tex]\Delta A = \sqrt{\int{\psi^* A^2 \psi d\tau} - (\int{\psi^* A \psi d\tau})^2}[/tex]?

jtbell
Mentor
Yes. If you're wondering where that formula comes from, one starts by defining [itex]\Delta A[/itex] as the square root of the expectation value of the square of the deviation of A from <A>, i.e. as the standard deviation of A:

[tex]\Delta A = \sqrt { < A - <A> >^2}[/tex]

By multiplying out the square and collecting terms one arrives at

[tex]\Delta A = \sqrt { <A^2> - <A>^2 }[/tex]

which is usually easier to calculate.

If you're wondering where that formula comes from, one starts by defining [itex]\Delta A[/itex] as the square root of the expectation value of the square of the deviation of A from <A>. i.e. as the standard deviation of A.

I start by defining delta (x) as the size of the single QM object (eigenvalue=1 of the s-aj number operator, which commute with the Hamiltonian). And I am wondering how it happens that it is closely related (but not identical) to the standard deviation of X which is the macroscopic quantity. Then I ask what the standard deviation of X describes in the classical statistical mechanics: the size of the statistical sub ensemble or the size of the volume (ball) occupied by that sub ensemble. Please explain all that.

Regards, Dany.

Last edited: