Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unclear about the Heisenberg uncertainty principle

1. Jun 5, 2007 #1
    Hi everybody,

I have a slightly noobish question and I've searched for the answer unsuccesfully so I'm posting it here.

I'm was reading up on the uncertainty priciple when I ran into two phrases that I don't quite understand. They are <A²> and <A>². Am I too apply this as [tex]\int \psi^* A^2 \psi d\tau[/tex] and [tex]\int(\psi^*A\psi)^2 d\tau[/tex]?

Without understanding this the heisenberg uncertainty principle makes not much sense to me...
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2007 #2

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your <A^2> is correct, but [tex]<A>^2=[\int\psi^* A\psi d\tau]^2.[/tex]
  4. Jun 6, 2007 #3
    So [tex]\Delta A = \sqrt{\int{\psi^* A^2 \psi d\tau} - (\int{\psi^* A \psi d\tau})^2}[/tex]?
  5. Jun 6, 2007 #4

Staff: Mentor

Yes. If you're wondering where that formula comes from, one starts by defining [itex]\Delta A[/itex] as the square root of the expectation value of the square of the deviation of A from <A>, i.e. as the standard deviation of A:

[tex]\Delta A = \sqrt { < A - <A> >^2}[/tex]

By multiplying out the square and collecting terms one arrives at

[tex]\Delta A = \sqrt { <A^2> - <A>^2 }[/tex]

which is usually easier to calculate.
  6. Jun 8, 2007 #5
    I start by defining delta (x) as the size of the single QM object (eigenvalue=1 of the s-aj number operator, which commute with the Hamiltonian). And I am wondering how it happens that it is closely related (but not identical) to the standard deviation of X which is the macroscopic quantity. Then I ask what the standard deviation of X describes in the classical statistical mechanics: the size of the statistical sub ensemble or the size of the volume (ball) occupied by that sub ensemble. Please explain all that.

Regards, Dany.
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?