Uncovering the Truth Behind Event Data Recorders in Cars

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cars Data
In summary: In 2005, it was estimated that about 64 percent of passenger cars on the market came equipped from the factory with "Event Data Recorders" that kept a computer record of various things a driver was doing in the moments just before and after a serious impact. The number today is certainly much higher and the devices are becoming more advanced.If you've purchased a new car in the past two or three years, chances are excellent that it has one. All General Motors passenger vehicles have them, for example. Ford, Toyota and other manufacturers have been including these devices in their cars for years.The problem is that the devices are becoming more invasive. Already we find that our driving was being monitored without our knowledge; unless we happened to read
Thank you, did it used to be 17? Maybe i just plucked 17 out of the air from somewhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
17 is the age you can drive :)

17 makes more sense to me than 14 for being fined, not many 14 year olds have jobs enough to pay for a fine.

In the states I've lived in as an adult (Indiana, Illinois, and Wisconsin), 15 year olds take drivers ed and get learner's permits, and then can get their real license at (I think) 16. A learner's permit requires you to have a licensed driver in the car with you when you are driving, and that licensed driver CAN (I don't think must always) share legal liability for anything you do wrong.