1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Under what conditions does quantum mechanics reduce to classical mechanics?

1. Oct 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "At 310K thermal energy kT=4.28x(10^-21). Use the equation you derived above (which I worked out to be E=(n²h²)/(8mL²) )to determine under which conditions quantum mechanics reduces to classical mechanics."
    The hint was that "you need to find the value of mL² for which change in E between two adjacent energy levels is equal to kT".

2. Relevant equations
    E=kt
    E=(n²h²)/(8mL²)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not quite sure how to start here, the only thing I've managed to do so far is:

((n2²-n1²)h²)/(8mL²)=4.28x(10^-21)

I'm not sure what to do with so many unknowns, or what the question is actually asking me to calculate!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2012 #2
    Assuming the above is correct let n2 = 2 and let n1 = 1. Now solve for mL^2.

Larger values of n2 will yield larger values of mL^2 which you should point out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook