1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rigid Walled Box (Quantum Mechanics)

1. Oct 27, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have just started my undergraduate quantum mechanics lectures and I am currently stuck in this question:

A rigid-walled box that extends from -L to L is divided into three sections by rigid
    interior walls at -x to +x, where x<L . Each section contains one particle in its ground
    state.
    (a) What is the total energy of the system as a function of x?
    (b) Sketch E(x) versus x.
    (c) At what value of x is E(x) a minimum?

2. Relevant equations

En=(n2π2ħ2)/(2mL2)
    EΨ(x,t) = iħ(∂Ψ(x,t))/(∂t)

3. The attempt at a solution

a) The energy of the system as a function of x should obey Schrodinger's Equation, so EΨ(x,t) = iħ(∂Ψ(x,t))/(∂t), but I'm not sure how to find a solution to Ψ(x,t) that may help me move forward.

b) After reading my textbook for a while, I have decided to draw the total energy as a straight line parallel to the horizontal x axis.

c) I was thinking since there are 3 particles within the rigid walled box, the minimum energy of the system would be E3=(9π2ħ2)/(2m(2L2)), since the length of the box is 2L.

Help is much appreciated!!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2014 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

No, you have three rigid walled boxes (bounded by the "rigid interior walls"), each containing one particle.

4. Oct 29, 2014 #3
    So I've been thinking about this for a while and I think I've found the answer.

There are three regions: [-L, -x],[-x, x] and [x, L]. So the length of each region would be L-x, 2x and L-x respectively. If we let a1=1/(L-x)2, a2=1/(2x)2, and a3=1/(L-x)2, and use the inequality relationship ((a12 + a22 + a32)/n)1/2 ≥ (a1 + a2 + a3)/n, we can show that ([1/(L-x)2] + [1/(2x)2] + [1/(L-x)2])/3 ≥ 9/4L2.

E is a minimum if
    L-x = 2x, which means x=L/3, and Emin=3*[(π2ħ2)/(2m)]*[27/(4L2)]=(27π2ħ2)/(8mL2).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted