Rigid Walled Box (Quantum Mechanics)

In summary, the total energy of the system as a function of x obeys Schrodinger's Equation and can be represented by a straight line parallel to the horizontal x-axis. The minimum energy occurs at x=L/3, with a value of (27π2ħ2)/(8mL2).
robotpie3000

Homework Statement

I have just started my undergraduate quantum mechanics lectures and I am currently stuck in this question:

A rigid-walled box that extends from -L to L is divided into three sections by rigid
interior walls at -x to +x, where x<L . Each section contains one particle in its ground
state.
(a) What is the total energy of the system as a function of x?
(b) Sketch E(x) versus x.
(c) At what value of x is E(x) a minimum?

Homework Equations

En=(n2π2ħ2)/(2mL2)
EΨ(x,t) = iħ(∂Ψ(x,t))/(∂t)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
a) The energy of the system as a function of x should obey Schrodinger's Equation, so EΨ(x,t) = iħ(∂Ψ(x,t))/(∂t), but I'm not sure how to find a solution to Ψ(x,t) that may help me move forward.

b) After reading my textbook for a while, I have decided to draw the total energy as a straight line parallel to the horizontal x axis.

c) I was thinking since there are 3 particles within the rigid walled box, the minimum energy of the system would be E3=(9π2ħ2)/(2m(2L2)), since the length of the box is 2L.

Help is much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
robotpie3000 said:
there are 3 particles within the rigid walled box

No, you have three rigid walled boxes (bounded by the "rigid interior walls"), each containing one particle.

So I've been thinking about this for a while and I think I've found the answer.

There are three regions: [-L, -x],[-x, x] and [x, L]. So the length of each region would be L-x, 2x and L-x respectively. If we let a1=1/(L-x)2, a2=1/(2x)2, and a3=1/(L-x)2, and use the inequality relationship ((a12 + a22 + a32)/n)1/2 ≥ (a1 + a2 + a3)/n, we can show that ([1/(L-x)2] + [1/(2x)2] + [1/(L-x)2])/3 ≥ 9/4L2.

E is a minimum if
L-x = 2x, which means x=L/3, and Emin=3*[(π2ħ2)/(2m)]*[27/(4L2)]=(27π2ħ2)/(8mL2).

1. What is a rigid walled box in quantum mechanics?

A rigid walled box is a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to represent a confined space where a particle can exist. It is an idealized system with perfectly reflecting walls, meaning that the particle cannot escape or interact with anything outside of the box.

2. How is the rigid walled box used in quantum mechanics?

The rigid walled box is used as a simplified model to study the behavior of particles in confined spaces. It allows scientists to make predictions about the possible energy levels and wave functions of a particle within the box, which can then be applied to more complex systems.

3. What are the limitations of the rigid walled box model?

The rigid walled box model is a simplification of real-world systems and therefore has limitations. It assumes that the walls are perfectly reflecting and that the particle is confined to a specific region, which may not be the case in reality. It also does not take into account any external forces or interactions that may affect the particle's behavior.

4. Can the rigid walled box model be applied to all particles?

No, the rigid walled box model is only applicable to non-interacting particles. This means that it cannot be used to study the behavior of particles that can interact with each other or with their surroundings, such as molecules or atoms in a gas.

5. What insights can be gained from studying the rigid walled box model?

Studying the rigid walled box model can provide insights into the behavior of confined particles and how they are affected by boundary conditions. It can also help in understanding the concept of energy levels and how they relate to the wave function of a particle. Additionally, it can serve as a building block for more complex models and systems in quantum mechanics.