Classical behavior, 3 dimension wave function and reflection

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in which a particle of energy E is incident on a potential step. From a classical point of view, the particle would be transmitted completely without reflection due to the positive difference between the energy E and the step potential. Its kinetic energy would remain unchanged. From a quantum point of view, the complete wave function can be determined by assuming an incident wave function of the form Ψ(x) = 1eikx in three dimensions. The reflection ratio R can be calculated using the values of k1 and k2, which represent the square root of the particle's energy. The individual's lack of background in physics makes it difficult for them to understand the problem and find a solution.
Docdan6

Homework Statement

I'm a pharmacologist and I have a modern physics course to do. This is not my field and I'm completely lost... We were given this problem to do. Thanks a lot in advance.

Consider a potential where
U(x) = 0 for x ≤ 0
U(x) = -3E for x > 0

Consider a particle of energy E incident by the left. When the particle arrives at the potential step,

1. What is the behavior of the particle from a classical point of view? How does vary its kinetic energy?
  2. From a quantum point of view, assuming that the incident wave function has the form Ψ(x) = 1eikx . Determine the complete wave function in the entire space.
  3. In the quantum case, what is the probability that the particle is reflected?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's what I have so far

1. I think that because E is greater than -3E, classically the particule would be transmitted completely without reflection because the difference between the energy E and the step potential would be positive, and would continue infinitely in x > 0... but I'm not sure. And its kinetic energy would not change.

2. I think that because the question ask the equation in three dimension, the forme should be:
Ψ(x, y, z) = 1 ( eikx + eiky + eikz )
but that can't be so simple...

3. from my research I came up with this:
The reflection ratio R would be
R = (k1 - k2)2 / (k1 + k2)2

k1 being √(2mE / ħ2)
k2 being √(2m(E - V0) / ħ2)

Please help me... it's been two days that I'm looking for this...Thanks !

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Where do you get the idea that this is in three dimensions ?

Last edited:
Docdan6 said:
I'm a pharmacologist and I have a modern physics course to do. This is not my field and I'm completely lost...

Docdan6 said:
1. I think that because E is greater than -3E, classically the particule would be transmitted completely without reflection because the difference between the energy E and the step potential would be positive, and would continue infinitely in x > 0... but I'm not sure. And its kinetic energy would not change.

I'm not sure how you ended up on a QM course without much knowledge of basic physics. We could probably help you on here to get to grips with some basic classical physics like question 1. But, to progress to QM, you'll need some very intensive and extensive help.

Perhaps someone else might try harder to help you, but I feel like there is only so much one can do, I'm sorry to say.

1. What is classical behavior?

Classical behavior refers to the behavior of macroscopic objects that can be observed and measured in our everyday world. It follows classical physics laws, such as Newton's laws of motion, and can be described by classical mechanics.

2. What is a 3-dimensional wave function?

A 3-dimensional wave function is a mathematical function used to describe the behavior of a quantum system in three-dimensional space. It is a complex-valued function that contains information about the probability amplitude of the system in different positions and time.

3. How is reflection related to classical behavior?

Reflection is a phenomenon where light or other waves bounce off a surface and change direction. In classical behavior, reflection can be explained by the laws of optics, such as the law of reflection, which states that the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection.

4. What is the relationship between classical behavior and the 3-dimensional wave function?

Classical behavior is the behavior of macroscopic objects that can be described by classical mechanics. On the other hand, the 3-dimensional wave function is used to describe the behavior of quantum systems, which follow different laws than classical objects. The relationship between the two is that classical behavior can emerge from the quantum behavior described by the 3-dimensional wave function in certain cases.

5. Can the 3-dimensional wave function be used to describe classical behavior?

No, the 3-dimensional wave function is a concept from quantum mechanics and cannot be used to describe classical behavior accurately. Classical behavior can only be described by classical mechanics and does not follow the laws of quantum mechanics.