Undergrad computational physics text?

In summary, the individual is seeking recommendations for an undergraduate computational physics textbook that uses Python as a programming language. They have found several options on Amazon, but are leaning towards Giordano due to its appealing topics and real-world examples. Another individual suggests Giordano as it was the recommended textbook for a course and introduces numerical techniques. They also mention Thijssen's book, which is focused on condensed matter physics and may be more suitable for graduate level studies. The individual decides to skip Thijssen's book and stick with Giordano as a safe bet.
cjv998
Hi everyone. I've had my BS in physics for 5 years now, and I'm looking to brush up on some areas that I never covered in my undergrad career. Specifically, I'm looking for an undergrad computational physics textbook that I could use to work through some "real-world" physical examples and teach myself a bit of numerical analysis. (For programming languages, I'd like to use Python, but I'm also familiar with C++, and wouldn't be opposed to learning FORTRAN.) I've found plenty of textbooks on Amazon (Giordano, Pang, Yevik, Thijssen, Vesely, etc...), but I'm unsure which one to get. At the moment, I'm leaning towards Giordano, because the topics/chapter titles sound appealing. So, does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think Giordano is a good bet. It was the recommended textbook in a comp phys course back at my old university. (Not that I took said course myself, but I've looked in the book a couple of times and it seems to deal with the topics well.) It was written specifically for an undergrad course, deals with "real-world" examples and does introduce numerical techniques along the way. For some reason the authors provide example code in a dialect of BASIC, but that's not too far from pseudo code. Shouldn't be a problem to translate that if you have some familiarity with programming.

The only other book I'm familiar with is Thijssen's. It focuses on condensed matter physics and is basically on the graduate level. Unless that's your cup of tea, you'd probably want to deal with the differential equations and so on in Giordano first.

Thanks. I'll definitely be skipping the Thijssen book in that case. Looks like Giordano would be a safe bet.

1. What is the best textbook for learning computational physics at the undergraduate level?

The answer to this question is subjective and depends on personal preferences. Some popular options include "Computational Physics" by Mark Newman, "A Survey of Computational Physics" by Rubin Landau, and "Introduction to Computational Physics" by Tao Pang.

2. What topics should be covered in an undergraduate computational physics textbook?

An ideal textbook should cover topics such as numerical methods, programming languages (such as Python or MATLAB), computational techniques for solving physical problems, and applications of computational physics in different fields.

3. Is prior knowledge of programming required for studying computational physics at the undergraduate level?

Some textbooks assume a basic understanding of programming concepts, but there are also beginner-friendly options available. It is recommended to have some knowledge of programming before diving into computational physics, as it will make the learning process smoother.

4. Are there any online resources that can supplement an undergraduate computational physics textbook?

Yes, there are many online resources available, such as lecture notes, video tutorials, and interactive simulations, that can complement the material covered in a textbook. Some popular resources include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Coursera.

5. How can an undergraduate computational physics textbook be used in practical applications?

An undergraduate computational physics textbook can be used to learn how to solve complex physical problems using numerical techniques. It can also be used as a reference guide for conducting research or developing software in various fields, such as astrophysics, quantum mechanics, and materials science.