1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs Undergrad Programs in Physics (in English) in Europe or Asia

1. Feb 14, 2017 #1
    Hi all,
    I am recently retired and would like to study Physics or Astronomy. I live on a military pension so the US is not going to happen. Tuition is just too expensive at American schools.

I am looking for universities that have Physics or Astronomy Bachelor's programs taught in English. Preferably with tuition under $4k per year and reasonable living expenses in the area. I am already aware of Leipzig and will be applying for that program.

I have tried google searches but sites like bachelor portal either miss many schools or have false positives. In the long run I would like to continue to grad school and work in research of some kind. I plan to volunteer my time to research as I do not really need an income. or maybe I will just keep going to school until I can't anymore.

Learning is way better than working if you can afford it. So any advice on what programs are out there would be great. Also i have found a couple of programs in Poland and 1 in Romania but get no response to email inquires. Is it possible some of these programs are fake? Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2017 #2
    So far I have found 3 in Germany.
    University of Heidelberg
    University of Leipzig
    Goethe University Frankfurt

4. Feb 22, 2017 #3
    I myself am very interested in this. Can you tell me about those universities that you found in Poland which offered a BSc Physics program in English, and also tell whether you have found anything else? I would appreciate it very much.

5. Feb 22, 2017 #4
    Do you have a European passport? Often makes a 10factor difference on how much tuition you pay.

6. Feb 22, 2017 #5
    these are the polish programs i found. although i am not sure any of them are real. I live in Latvia but have a US passport. I found in Latvia some universities report they have a Physics program in english but they do not really. They are just trying to attract international students. so these polish schools might be doing the same thing. As for the passport issue and tuition costs, that is only the western European countries and Sweden. In Sweden its free if your from EU but 20k a semester if you are not. UK tuition is double for international students. But I have found in eastern europe that the price is ussually the same for both. Germany, Norway, Finland and a couple others have free tuition for everyone.
    In romania:
    University of Bucharest website claims to have an english physics program.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted