Undergrad requirements for Medical Physics

In summary, for students interested in pursuing a PhD in medical physics, having a background in biology or anatomy is not necessary but can be beneficial. Internships in medical physics may be rare, but there are other related areas such as radiation safety, health physics, and medical imaging that can provide valuable experience. Undergraduate research in any branch of physics can also be helpful in strengthening an application. It is important to research and consider the specific requirements of different programs, and to take advantage of opportunities such as internships and research experiences.
PBD
Hi,

I'm an undergrad in engineering physics and I'm thinking about becoming a medical physicist. Do I need to have a biology or anatomy course before applying to a PhD program, and if so, which one is best to have?

Also, since medical physics internships seem pretty rare, what other kinds of internships would be useful? I've spent a few days job-shadowing a medical physicist but he's in a private hospital that isn't really set up for a longer internship.

Finally, would undergrad research be useful or is there something else I should be doing in my spare time?

I'd appreciate any advice. Not too many people at my tech school know much about this field so I'm trying to figure it out on my own.

Physics news on Phys.org
PBD said:
I'm an undergrad in engineering physics and I'm thinking about becoming a medical physicist. Do I need to have a biology or anatomy course before applying to a PhD program, and if so, which one is best to have?
In general you don't "need" either, but each program has it's own requirements, so it's worth browsing the specific entrance requirements for the schools you think you may be interested in.

That said, I think it's highly advantageous to come in with a general understanding of cellular processes such as the cell cycle and mitosis at a first-year undergraduate level as the graduate radiobiology course builds on this. You can learn it as you go, but I'd rather be spending my time reading up on the interesting stuff rather than reviewing the basics by the time I'm doing the course. I would offer more-or-less the same advice for anatomy and physiology. It will certainly help to have a background in it when you start, but most medical physics programs that I'm familiar with assume that you don't have it when you're admitted.

If I had to chose between the two, I'd go with biology, but that's not a strong recommendation - just my opinion if you've got a slot to fill and you're really on the fence.

Also, since medical physics internships seem pretty rare, what other kinds of internships would be useful? I've spent a few days job-shadowing a medical physicist but he's in a private hospital that isn't really set up for a longer internship.
I think the AAPM actually offers financial support for a few undergrads to take on medical physics positions every year. It's worth looking up if you're interested.

Related things you could try would include radiation safety or health physics offices. These would be big at, for example nuclear plants, or radioisotope production facilities.

Anyting related to medical imaging is good as well. I'm not sure exactly what's out there, but it might be worth looking into summer interships with some of the big guns like Phillips or GE - or even some of the smaller guns. (Look up the vendor list for RSNA).

Finally, would undergrad research be useful or is there something else I should be doing in my spare time?
Absolutely. It doesn't have to be in medical physics either. Just like any other branch of physics, experience in research can bolster your application by allowing you to develop additional skill outside of your formal academic training, and just by giving your referees something more substantial to talk about on their reference letters.

Choppy said:
If I had to chose between the two, I'd go with biology, but that's not a strong recommendation - just my opinion if you've got a slot to fill and you're really on the fence.
Good... I think I stand a lot better chance of getting biology worked into my schedule, since there are so many class sections of it as compared to the rest.

I think the AAPM actually offers financial support for a few undergrads to take on medical physics positions every year. It's worth looking up if you're interested.

Related things you could try would include radiation safety or health physics offices. These would be big at, for example nuclear plants, or radioisotope production facilities.

Anyting related to medical imaging is good as well. I'm not sure exactly what's out there, but it might be worth looking into summer interships with some of the big guns like Phillips or GE - or even some of the smaller guns. (Look up the vendor list for RSNA).
I saw the AAPM internships on their website, but there were only about five, so I thought I should look around for alternatives. That's a good idea about RSNA, thanks. We have a couple of big job & internship fairs each year so I could cross-reference with some of those companies.

Absolutely. It doesn't have to be in medical physics either. Just like any other branch of physics, experience in research can bolster your application by allowing you to develop additional skill outside of your formal academic training, and just by giving your referees something more substantial to talk about on their reference letters.
Good, I had planned to do senior research/design with a prof in nuclear physics, but as I mentioned, medical physics is not really an option right here at my school.

Also, I'm not 100% sure about medical physics so it's great to hear that internships/research in related areas would be helpful.

Thanks a lot for your advice, esp. about the internships. It sounds like I'm on the right track but it seems like medical physics is getting more competitive and the requirements more strict than they used to be, plus my schedule is pretty tight... so I just didn't want to accidentally screw it up.

As a scientist with a background in medical physics, I can offer some advice on the undergrad requirements for this field. First of all, it is not necessary to have a biology or anatomy course before applying to a PhD program in medical physics. However, having a basic understanding of these subjects can be beneficial in your studies and career as a medical physicist. If you have the opportunity to take a course in either subject, it may be helpful in understanding the medical applications of physics in a clinical setting.

In terms of internships, while medical physics internships may be rare, there are other types of internships that can be useful in this field. For example, internships in hospitals or medical imaging companies can provide valuable experience and exposure to the medical physics field. Additionally, internships in research labs or with medical physicists in academic institutions can also be beneficial in gaining hands-on experience in this field.

Undergrad research can also be helpful in preparing for a career in medical physics. It allows you to gain a deeper understanding of a specific area of medical physics and can also provide valuable skills in data analysis and research methodology. However, it is not the only thing you should be doing in your spare time. It is important to also have a well-rounded education and to pursue other interests and experiences outside of your academic studies.

Overall, my advice would be to focus on gaining a strong foundation in physics and mathematics during your undergrad studies, while also taking advantage of any opportunities to gain exposure to the medical field. Keep an open mind and continue to explore different areas of medical physics to find what interests you the most. Good luck on your journey towards becoming a medical physicist!

What are the basic requirements for an undergraduate degree in Medical Physics?

The basic requirements for an undergraduate degree in Medical Physics typically include courses in mathematics, physics, biology, and chemistry. Some programs may also have additional requirements in computer science, statistics, and engineering.

Do I need to have a specific major in order to apply for a Medical Physics program?

While some universities may offer a specific major in Medical Physics, it is not always a requirement. Many programs accept students with a variety of undergraduate degrees, as long as they have completed the necessary prerequisite courses.

Are there any specific GPA requirements for Medical Physics programs?

Each program may have different GPA requirements, but a strong GPA in the prerequisite courses is generally expected. It is important to research and understand the specific requirements for the programs you are interested in.

Do I need to have research experience to be accepted into a Medical Physics program?

Research experience is not always required, but it can be beneficial for your application. Many universities offer opportunities for undergraduate students to participate in research projects, which can help strengthen your application and provide valuable experience.

Are there any specific standardized tests that I need to take for Medical Physics programs?

Some programs may require the GRE (Graduate Record Examination) or the physics GRE, while others do not have this requirement. It is important to check the specific requirements for each program you are interested in applying to.