Undergraduate ABET and MS non-ABET

In summary, the person is seeking academic guidance as they are at a crossroads between completing a non-ABET accredited master's degree in mechanical engineering and enrolling in an ABET accredited undergraduate ME program. Their initial degree was in applied mathematics and their career goal is to work as an engineer at a top aerospace company. There is also discussion about the possibility of obtaining a bachelor's degree after completing a master's. It is advised to consider the specific career goals and potential employer requirements before making a decision.
dsaun777
I am at a crossroads. I have completed a good portion of a master's degree in mechanical engineering but the program is not ABET accredited. The same university does have an undergraduate ME program that is accredited. I have looked around on the ABET website and apparently, there is only a handful of ABET master's programs in ME. I still have the ability to switch out of the master's program and enroll in the ME undergraduate program. My initial degree was in applied mathematics. What would do you people think would be the better option? To have an undergraduate degree in applied math combined with a non-ABET masters in mechanical engineering. Or two undergraduate degrees, one in math and the other in mechanical that is ABET accredited?

Physics news on Phys.org
[Moved to academic guidance]

Yikes! How did you get in this predicament (how did you not know before you started?)?

But before we can answer your question, the obvious question you need to answer for us is: what do you want to do with your degree? The more detailed the answer, the better. It may even reveal if an ABET accredation even matters (again, something you really should have known before you started).

Likes Vanadium 50
dsaun777 said:
I am at a crossroads.
You climbed the Applied Mathematics tree, then swung through the branches into the top of the Mechanical Engineering tree. ABET do not accredit post grad courses, so you missed out on the ABET accredited ME degree.

Don't change horses (or courses) in midstream.
I think you should join ASME as a lowly member today. Continue and finish your master's degree in ME, then advance your membership in ASME as you are able. It may be more confusing in the short term, but ASME, in its own words, "promotes the art, science, and practice of multidisciplinary engineering and allied sciences around the globe". You are the "multidisciplinary" part that they promote. You will add value because you are different.

Likes dsaun777
russ_watters said:

Yikes! How did you get in this predicament (how did you not know before you started?)?

But before we can answer your question, the obvious question you need to answer for us is: what do you want to do with your degree? The more detailed the answer, the better. It may even reveal if an ABET accredation even matters (again, something you really should have known before you started).
I knew this before I started but I continued anyway because the courses are transferable to an undergrad ME. Also, most ME grad programs, even from MIT, are not ABET accredited. My career goals are to be an engineer at one of the top aerospace companies. I already work in manufacturing for one such company and am trying to transition to engineer.

dsaun777 said:
I knew this before I started but I continued anyway because the courses are transferable to an undergrad ME. Also, most ME grad programs, even from MIT, are not ABET accredited. My career goals are to be an engineer at one of the top aerospace companies. I already work in manufacturing for one such company and am trying to transition to engineer.
How strange would it be if I got my masters and then my bachelor's? As much as I enjoy studying any engineering, I am getting these degrees for employment as an engineer.

I have a non-ABET Masters in Chemical Engineering. I had an undergrad in Chemistry from a private (non ABET school), so I had some math to take, and essentially everything that a non-chemE would have to do. At my school, the undergrad program was ABET and I had to make up those classes.

It will depend on the employer. I have had a couple that wanted my transcripts, but most wanted proof of the degree, and didn't care if the grad degree was ABET. The Masters seems to trump a lot of these issues, especially if you have good grades, and had a decent thesis.

dsaun777 said:
How strange would it be if I got my masters and then my bachelor's?
Have you even checked if this is possible? It sounds very odd that your university allows a Bachelor's as a post-Masters degree. If you didn't check with them, shouldn't that be your first step?

Last edited:
ChemAir said:
I have a non-ABET Masters in Chemical Engineering. I had an undergrad in Chemistry from a private (non ABET school), so I had some math to take, and essentially everything that a non-chemE would have to do. At my school, the undergrad program was ABET and I had to make up those classes.

It will depend on the employer. I have had a couple that wanted my transcripts, but most wanted proof of the degree, and didn't care if the grad degree was ABET. The Masters seems to trump a lot of these issues, especially if you have good grades, and had a decent thesis.
This sounds very similar to my situation. What type of employment did you end up getting? Were you able to be hired as a chemical engineer without any difficulty?

Baluncore said:
You climbed the Applied Mathematics tree, then swung through the branches into the top of the Mechanical Engineering tree. ABET do not accredit post grad courses, so you missed out on the ABET accredited ME degree.

Don't change horses (or courses) in midstream.
I think you should join ASME as a lowly member today. Continue and finish your master's degree in ME, then advance your membership in ASME as you are able. It may be more confusing in the short term, but ASME, in its own words, "promotes the art, science, and practice of multidisciplinary engineering and allied sciences around the globe". You are the "multidisciplinary" part that they promote. You will add value because you are different.
Never really heard of ASME. Are you a member? what does joining the ASME do for improving employment?

dsaun777 said:
This sounds very similar to my situation. What type of employment did you end up getting? Were you able to be hired as a chemical engineer without any difficulty?
Initially, I was a product/process engineer. Hired to revise process procedures and develop new products. I also assisted in ISO type certifications. Being that I had a decent chemistry background, I was able to fit in pretty well for a specialty chemical supplier.

I had no difficulty finding employment.

dsaun777 said:
Never really heard of ASME. Are you a member? what does joining the ASME do for improving employment?
ASME = American Society of Mechanical Engineers. I'm not a member.
ABET was originally established by ASME and others.
With a Masters in ME, and membership of ASME, your degree course and accreditation fade from importance.

Likes russ_watters
Baluncore said:
With a Masters in ME, and membership of ASME, your degree course and accreditation fade from importance.
I can't tell if you are joking...

Baluncore said:
Baluncore said:
It would be really helpful if you would clarify why membership in the ASME improves employability of a mechanical engineer. E.g., do you mean listing membership on a resume per se is beneficial, or do you mean ASME offers special career programs?

I'm not a mechanical engineer. I'm a physicist who also worked in materials science and engineering (plus other fields). I am still a member of APS (American Physical Society) and previously was a member of MRS (Materials Research Society) and ECS (Electrochemical Society). Membership in those societies per se never enhanced my employability, and I never listed them on my resume. Furthermore, you don't need to be a physicist to join the APS, you don't need to be a materials scientist and engineer to join the MRS, and you don't need to be an electrochemist to join the ECS.

So are there special qualifications to be accepted as a member of ASME? Does membership confer additional validation of professional status?

Or do your responses constitute sarcasm towards the ASME (based on some unpleasant interaction in your past, perhaps)?

Last edited:
Likes dsaun777
CrysPhys said:
E.g., do you mean listing membership on a resume per se is beneficial, or do you mean ASME offers special career programs?
Both. It keeps you informed and up-to-date.
Membership makes you part of a professional community, with all the real and imagined benefits that a future employer might consider.
What is the downside you fear of listing your membership ?

CrysPhys said:
Membership in those societies per se never enhanced my employability, and I never listed them on my resume.
Obviously, you cannot benefit if you do not list your membership on your resume.

CrysPhys said:
So are there special qualifications to be accepted as a member of ASME?
I expect qualifications will determine the initial grade of membership, check with ASME.

CrysPhys said:
Does membership confer additional validation of professional status?
Yes.

russ_watters said:

I looked this up on abet.org and there are only two Master's programs offered in mechanical engineering in all of the country. Yet, I see all the time on job advertisements that either a BS or MS in mechanical is required for educational background.

Likes russ_watters

What is ABET?

ABET stands for Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology. It is a non-profit organization that accredits college and university programs in applied and natural science, computing, engineering, and engineering technology. ABET accreditation is recognized globally as a mark of quality education in these fields.

What is the difference between Undergraduate ABET and MS non-ABET?

The main difference between Undergraduate ABET and MS non-ABET programs is the level of accreditation. Undergraduate ABET programs have been evaluated and accredited by ABET, while MS non-ABET programs have not. This means that the curriculum, faculty, and facilities of the Undergraduate ABET program have met the rigorous standards set by ABET, while the MS non-ABET program may not have undergone this evaluation.

Is it necessary to attend an ABET-accredited program for my undergraduate degree?

While it is not necessary to attend an ABET-accredited program for your undergraduate degree, it is highly recommended. ABET accreditation ensures that the program meets high standards of quality and prepares students for successful careers in their chosen field. It also makes it easier for graduates to obtain professional licensure and pursue advanced degrees.

Can I still pursue a graduate degree if my undergraduate program is not ABET-accredited?

Yes, you can still pursue a graduate degree even if your undergraduate program is not ABET-accredited. However, depending on the program and institution you are applying to, having an ABET-accredited undergraduate degree may give you a competitive advantage. It is important to research the specific requirements and preferences of the graduate programs you are interested in.

How can I find out if a program is ABET-accredited?

You can find out if a program is ABET-accredited by visiting the ABET website and searching for the program or institution in question. You can also check with the institution directly or look for the ABET logo on the program's website or promotional materials. It is important to note that not all programs within a university may be ABET-accredited, so make sure to check for the specific program you are interested in.