1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Understanding a Homemade Lie Detector

1. Apr 15, 2012 #1
    Hey guys, I'm new to this forum, and I want to start off by asking about some help to understand the composition of this circuit.

The circuit is made by Kip Kedersha, and is found here.

This is the circuit:
    ld2.png

I'd like to know how the resistors and the capacitor effect the circuit, or what it does, and also how the transistors help to make the difference between dry and sweaty fingers the difference between sound and no sound. (The thing about this circuit is that what it really does is only to react depending on whether the person sweats, in which case it conducts electricity better.

Any help is appreciated :)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2012 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Hi Norse! http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif [Broken]

You have posted this to the homework sub-forum, which implies that the explanation of the circuit operation is a homework question. As you must be studying electronics, you will have to show you have made an attempt at the work before we can assist.

To start you off, I can see a charging path through a sweaty finger: from the battery ⊕ through the E-B junction of Q1, through R2 and C1 and the speaker and returning to the battery ⊖.

See how you go now.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook