Understanding Angular Momentum: A Brief Explanation of Vector Cross Products

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
queenspublic
Messages
59
Reaction score
0
When doing Angular Momentum, how is it that 2.0(2.12i + 2.12j) x (-3.863i - 1.035j) is equal to 2.0[-2.194k + 8.189k]?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
tiny-tim said:
'cos i x j = k and j x i = -k (and ii = jj = 0) :wink:

I don't understand.

cos i x j = k ?

So cos 2.12i x 2.12j = -2.194k ?

Please explain it in numbers. How do I get -2.194k + 8.189k ?
 
queenspublic said:
I don't understand.

cos i x j = k ?

So cos 2.12i x 2.12j = -2.194k ?

he he :smile:

no, I meant because i x j = k :wink:
 
tiny-tim said:
he he :smile:

no, I meant because i x j = k :wink:

O! I get it! Thanks.