Understanding Astrophysics/Cosmology

• Thread starter Stratosphere
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a person's interest in science and specifically astrophysics/cosmology. They mention using simple mathematics such as calculus and ODEs, but feel they are missing connections in physics, particularly in quantum mechanics. They plan to go through classical electrodynamics, quantum mechanics, and particle physics in order to gain a better understanding of astrophysics. The conversation also touches on the usefulness of mechanics and electromagnetism in astrophysics, as well as the importance of having a strong foundation in all areas of basic physics when studying astrophysics. The individual is pursuing this knowledge for personal interest and self-education.
Stratosphere
I have a deep interest in science. My main subject of interest however is astrophysics/cosmology. I have https://www.amazon.com/dp/0691125848/?tag=pfamazon01-20. The mathematics used are simple, single variable calculus and some ODEs, although, on the physics aspect, I feel that I'm missing the connections. Especially the quantum mechanics. I've never read a science textbook on anything else besides some basic classical physics.

I'm thinking about going through classical electrodynamics, quantum mechanics and then some particle physics. Maybe after all of that I can learn some real astrophysics (and cosmology).

Would all of that be necessary to truly understand it all? I still have an interest in physics but I'd rather learn about the cosmos first, then learn more in-depth physics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Stratosphere said:
I have a deep interest in science. My main subject of interest however is astrophysics/cosmology. I have https://www.amazon.com/dp/0691125848/?tag=pfamazon01-20. The mathematics used are simple, single variable calculus and some ODEs, although, on the physics aspect, I feel that I'm missing the connections. Especially the quantum mechanics. I've never read a science textbook on anything else besides some basic classical physics.

I'm thinking about going through classical electrodynamics, quantum mechanics and then some particle physics. Maybe after all of that I can learn some real astrophysics (and cosmology).

Would all of that be necessary to truly understand it all? I still have an interest in physics but I'd rather learn about the cosmos first, then learn more in-depth physics.

The thing about Astrophysics is that in touches on nearly all aspects of Physics. I've used bits of QM, EM, Mechanics, Thermo. etc. all the time. However, I don't have a deep understanding of any of these subjects (I'm a math major with a physics minor). My suggestion: since I don't know your education level/background, it might be best to wait until you've at least had introductory courses in EM and Mechanics before trying to tackle rigorous Astrophysics. At least, that's all I have and the class is going pretty smoothly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Newtime said:
The thing about Astrophysics is that in touches on nearly all aspects of Physics. I've used bits of QM, EM, Mechanics, Thermo. etc. all the time. However, I don't have a deep understanding of any of these subjects (I'm a math major with a physics minor). My suggestion: since I don't know your education level/background, it might be best to wait until you've at least had introductory courses in EM and Mechanics before trying to tackle rigorous Astrophysics. At least, that's all I have and the class is going pretty smoothly.

I should probably touch up on some mechanics, then maybe go through some EM? I actually haven't used any E&M. Only QM. What is EM useful for in astrophysics? The magnetic field of stars?

Stratosphere said:
I should probably touch up on some mechanics, then maybe go through some EM? I actually haven't used any E&M. Only QM. What is EM useful for in astrophysics? The magnetic field of stars?

Yes and in particular of neutron stars. I suppose mechanics would be the most useful, then QM and thermo. and what not.

What level of astrophysics knowledge are you aiming for? Is this just for fun, or are you aiming to eventually do this professionally?

As Newtime said, astrophysics (like condensed matter, nuclear physics, etc.) uses all areas of "basic" physics. When you start seriously approaching cosmology, for example, you need quantum and statistical mechanics to do early universe stuff. Of course you don't need anywhere near all of what's taught in the traditional undergraduate curriculum to approach a given area of astrophysics, but it's hard to build a list of specific topics; different topics build off of one another in the course of an undergrad education, and combine to produce the physical intuition and mathematical background needed to pick up new topics as necessary.

If you're just doing this at a (serious) casual level, then you don't need full courses in, say nuclear physics, or even the more basic subjects. But you'll have a much harder time reading an astrophysics book and realizing what specific subject you need to go study in order to understand a particular topic.

Stratosphere said:
What is EM useful for in astrophysics? The magnetic field of stars?

Radiative transfer, magnetohydrodynamics (star formation, galactic structure, etc.), emission and absorption in a host of astrophysically relevant environments, and many other topics.

JDGates said:
What level of astrophysics knowledge are you aiming for? Is this just for fun, or are you aiming to eventually do this professionally?

As Newtime said, astrophysics (like condensed matter, nuclear physics, etc.) uses all areas of "basic" physics. When you start seriously approaching cosmology, for example, you need quantum and statistical mechanics to do early universe stuff. Of course you don't need anywhere near all of what's taught in the traditional undergraduate curriculum to approach a given area of astrophysics, but it's hard to build a list of specific topics; different topics build off of one another in the course of an undergrad education, and combine to produce the physical intuition and mathematical background needed to pick up new topics as necessary.

If you're just doing this at a (serious) casual level, then you don't need full courses in, say nuclear physics, or even the more basic subjects. But you'll have a much harder time reading an astrophysics book and realizing what specific subject you need to go study in order to understand a particular topic.

I'm actually doing this for my self. I've always been really curious about the universe. I'm not doing this for a living, though I'd like to have as close to a professional knowledge as possible.

This isn't the only subject I like to learn about, I've made a challenge to see how much I can learn in a life time.

1. What is astrophysics?

Astrophysics is a branch of astronomy that focuses on the physical properties and processes of celestial objects, such as stars, galaxies, and the universe as a whole. It combines principles from physics, mathematics, and chemistry to study the behavior and evolution of these objects.

2. What is cosmology?

Cosmology is the study of the origin, evolution, and structure of the universe as a whole. It encompasses various theories, models, and observations to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the universe.

3. How do astrophysics and cosmology relate to each other?

Astrophysics and cosmology are closely related fields, with astrophysics focusing on the physical properties of celestial objects and cosmology studying the universe as a whole. Cosmology provides the overarching framework for astrophysics, as it seeks to understand the origin and evolution of the objects and phenomena studied in astrophysics.

4. What are some key topics studied in astrophysics and cosmology?

Some key topics studied in astrophysics and cosmology include the Big Bang theory, dark matter and dark energy, black holes, the formation and evolution of galaxies, and the search for extraterrestrial life. Other areas of study include gravitational waves, cosmic radiation, and the structure of the universe on both large and small scales.

5. Why is understanding astrophysics and cosmology important?

Understanding astrophysics and cosmology is important because it allows us to gain a deeper understanding of our place in the universe and the fundamental laws that govern it. It also has practical applications, such as helping us to develop technologies and methods for space exploration, communication, and navigation. Additionally, studying astrophysics and cosmology can inspire curiosity, wonder, and a greater appreciation for the vastness and complexity of the universe.