Understanding C=(2*C5): Elements and Meaning

• Thread starter chikou24i
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elements
In summary, the conversation discusses the notation of the class C'=(2*C5) in group C5v and its elements. It is concluded that the notation means a rotation by two times 72 degrees and the class contains two elements, namely the rotations by + or - 72 degrees.
chikou24i
One of the classes of the group C5v is written C=(2*C5). So why do we mean by 2*C5 and how we can know the elements of this class from this writing ?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You really mean class or rather symmetry operation? I would guess that 2*C_5 means a rotation by two times 72 degrees.

Likes chikou24i
I mean what means the notation of the class C'=(2C5) ,where C' is a class and 2C5 are the elements of this class.

Where did you see this? I don't think the C' is standard notation. The 2 C##_5## means that the class contains two elements, namely the rotations by + or - 72 degrees.

Likes chikou24i
So 2 C5 means : C5, C54.
Thanks you very much that's what I want to know.

Yes, the two are in the same class as e.g. ##\sigma_v C_5 \sigma_v=C_5^4##.

Likes chikou24i

1. What is C=(2*C5)?

C=(2*C5) is a mathematical formula that represents the doubling of the atomic weight of a specific element, C5, which is carbon.

2. How is C=(2*C5) used in chemistry?

C=(2*C5) is used in chemistry to determine the atomic weight of elements, specifically carbon. It helps in understanding the composition of chemical substances and their reactions.

3. What does the "C" in C=(2*C5) stand for?

The "C" in C=(2*C5) stands for carbon, which is the element being represented in the formula.

4. What is the significance of the number "5" in C5?

The number "5" in C5 represents the atomic number of carbon, which is the number of protons in the nucleus of a carbon atom. It helps to identify the element and its properties.

5. Can C=(2*C5) be applied to other elements?

Yes, C=(2*C5) can be applied to other elements to determine their atomic weight. However, the number after the "C" will change depending on the element being represented.