Understanding Cantor's Theorem and Diameter

In summary, I am reading John B. Conway's book, "Functions of a Complex Variable I" (Second Edition). I need help in fully understanding an aspect of the proof of Theorem 1.4. I am a little lost here and I can see that if \epsilon \gt 0 then F_m \subset B( I ; \epsilon ) ... but how exactly does this fact together with \delta = \delta_m assure us that the theorem is proved? I confess I am a little lost here ...I can see that if \epsilon \gt 0 then F_m \subset B( I ; \epsilon ) ... but how exactly does this fact together
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading John B. Conway's book, "Functions of a Complex Variable I" (Second Edition) ...

I am currently focussed on Chapter IV: Complex Integration ... Section 1: Riemann-Stieljes Integral ... ...

I need help in fully understanding an aspect of the proof of Theorem 1.4 ... ...

Theorem 1.4 and its proof read as follows:View attachment 7443
View attachment 7444In the above text from Conway we read the following:

" ... ... Let us show that this will complete the proof. If \(\displaystyle \epsilon \gt 0\) let \(\displaystyle m \gt ( 2/ \epsilon ) V( \gamma ) \ge \text{ diam } F_m\). Since \(\displaystyle I \in F_m\) , \(\displaystyle F_m \subset B( I ; \epsilon )\). Thus if \(\displaystyle \delta = \delta_m\) the theorem is proved. ... ... "I confess I am a little lost here ...I can see that if \(\displaystyle \epsilon \gt 0\) then \(\displaystyle F_m \subset B( I ; \epsilon )\) ... but how exactly does this fact together with \(\displaystyle \delta = \delta_m\) assure us that the theorem is proved ...

... ... that is ... how does \(\displaystyle F_m \subset B( I ; \epsilon )\)

\(\displaystyle \Longrightarrow\) there exists a complex number \(\displaystyle I\) such that for every \(\displaystyle \epsilon \gt 0\) there exists a \(\displaystyle \delta \gt 0\) sch that for \(\displaystyle \lvert \lvert P \rvert \rvert \lt \delta\) ... then ...

\(\displaystyle \left\lvert I - \sum_{ i = 1}^m f( \tau_k ) [ \gamma (t_k) -\gamma ( t_{ k-1 } ) ] \right\rvert \)
Help will be much appreciated ...

Peter==================================================================================

In the above proof, Conway mentions Cantor's Theorem ... so I am providing MHB readers with Conway's statement of Cantor's Theorem together with the relevant definition of the diameter of a set ... as follows:

View attachment 7445

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If $\delta = \delta_m$ and $P = \{t_0 < t_1 < \cdots < t_n\}$ is a partition of $[a,b]$ with $\|P\| < \delta$ and $\tau_k\in [t_{k-1},t_k]$ for all $k$, then $P \in \mathscr{P}_m$ and $\sum f(\tau_k) [\gamma(t_k) - \gamma(t_{k-1})] \in F_m\subset B(I, \epsilon)$, which implies $\lvert I - \sum f(\tau_k)[\gamma(t_k) - \gamma(t_{k-1})\rvert < \epsilon$.

Euge said:
If $\delta = \delta_m$ and $P = \{t_0 < t_1 < \cdots < t_n\}$ is a partition of $[a,b]$ with $\|P\| < \delta$ and $\tau_k\in [t_{k-1},t_k]$ for all $k$, then $P \in \mathscr{P}_m$ and $\sum f(\tau_k) [\gamma(t_k) - \gamma(t_{k-1})] \in F_m\subset B(I, \epsilon)$, which implies $\lvert I - \sum f(\tau_k)[\gamma(t_k) - \gamma(t_{k-1})\rvert < \epsilon$.
Thanks Euge ...

Still reflecting on this ...

Peter

Peter said:
Thanks Euge ...

Still reflecting on this ...

Peter

Last edited:

1. What is Cantor's Theorem?

Cantor's Theorem, also known as the diagonal argument, is a fundamental result in set theory that states there is no one-to-one correspondence between the natural numbers (or any infinite set) and its power set, or the set of all its subsets.

2. How does Cantor's Theorem relate to the concept of diameter?

In the context of Cantor's Theorem, the diameter refers to the size of the power set of a given set. Cantor's Theorem states that the diameter of a set is always strictly greater than the size of the original set, illustrating the concept of an "infinity of infinities".

3. Why is understanding Cantor's Theorem important?

Cantor's Theorem has significant implications in mathematics, particularly in the study of infinite sets. It plays a fundamental role in modern set theory and has applications in other areas such as computer science and physics.

4. Can Cantor's Theorem be proven?

Yes, Cantor's Theorem has been proven and is widely accepted as a fundamental result in mathematics. It was first published in 1874 by German mathematician Georg Cantor and has been studied and expanded upon by numerous mathematicians since then.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Cantor's Theorem?

While Cantor's Theorem is primarily a theoretical result, it has practical applications in areas such as cryptography, data compression, and computer algorithms. It also provides a framework for understanding and analyzing infinite sets, which can be useful in various fields of mathematics and science.