1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Understanding converting a vector field to cartesian coords

1. Oct 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Here is the problem and solution but I am confused as to part B
    http://gyazo.com/e77d05fc67cb6ac266ff021ef88052dc

3. The attempt at a solution
    I understand the first part, but I am totally lost on how they reached their cartesian answer for part B. Firstly why did they do what they did, and secondly where did 36 degrees come from?

I feel like their is some sort of equation or something I am not understanding.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

36 degrees is 0.2π. It's the angle the gave you for phi. Does that help? Other than that they are just using that if u is a unit vector then the component of D along u is (D.u)u.

4. Oct 30, 2012 #3
    Hmm ok but why does he have .5 twice as in .5(ap.ax)ax +.5(ap.ax)ay?

5. Oct 30, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

One term finds the ax component of 0.5ap and the other finds the ay. Are you sure you understood the first part?

6. Oct 30, 2012 #5
    hmm okay thanks I think I figured it out. All I did was use the equations x = p*cosphi, y=p*sinphi and plugged those into the original equation which was already in cartesian for me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook