1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Understanding derivation of -du/dx = F

1. Oct 2, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Where U is potential energy, show that F = -du/dx

2. Relevant equations

ΔU = U(x) - U(x_0)

$$ΔU = U(x) - U(x_0) = \int_{x_0}^{x}Fdx \qquad (1)$$

3. The attempt at a solution

I am confused why
    $$\frac{d}{dx}ΔU = \frac{du}{dx} \qquad (2)$$

Doesn't
    $$ΔU = du \qquad (3)$$

I recognize that (3) is simple misunderstanding of calculus but for some reason I can't make sense of why it isn't true in this case.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm a little confused with the notation. Is ##u## the same as ##U##?

Note that ##\frac{d}{dx}ΔU = \frac{d}{dx} \left[U(x) - U(x_0) \right]##.

Simplify this.
    Hint: What is ##\frac{d}{dx} U(x_0)##?

Why do you think it is true in this case?

4. Oct 3, 2016 #3
    Yes it is meant to, my mistake for lack of clarity. From now on I will use ##dU## instead of ##du## to represent the derivative of ##U##
    Does it ##=F+dU/dx##?

Ok, I can see why ##ΔU \neq dU## in this case. After all, ##ΔU## represents a real change in potential, not an infinitesimally small one. But I am still having trouble understanding this algebraically and intuitively. How can you take the derivative of ##ΔU##? In a situation where all potential energy is provided by gravity, ##ΔU## does not represent a single point where gravity has a single instantaneous force, like ##U(x)## and ##U(x_0)## do. It is rather, a range. Does taking the derivative of ##ΔU## then yield an average force over that range?

I think my grasp of Leibniz notation is poor.

5. Oct 3, 2016 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have the relation $$ΔU = U(x) - U(x_0) = \int_{x_0}^{x}Fdx $$ I believe there should be a negative sign in this relation, so that it should read $$ΔU = U(x) - U(x_0) = - \int_{x_0}^{x}Fdx $$ Think of ##x_0## as having a fixed value; but consider ##x## to be a variable. So, ##U(x_0)## is just some number (i.e., a constant), but ##U(x)## is a function of the variable ##x##.

Use rules of calculus to simplify ##\frac{d}{dx}ΔU = \frac{d}{dx}\left[ U(x) - U(x_0) \right] = -\frac{d}{dx}\int_{x_0}^{x}Fdx##

6. Oct 3, 2016 #5
    I get it! Thank you :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted