Understanding derivation of -du/dx = F

• Thread starter hsbhsb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivation
In summary, the equation ##ΔU = U(x) - U(x_0) = -\int_{x_0}^{x}Fdx## can be simplified using the rules of calculus to ##\frac{d}{dx}ΔU = \frac{d}{dx}\left[ U(x) - U(x_0) \right] = -\frac{d}{dx}\int_{x_0}^{x}Fdx##. The confusion may lie in the fact that ##ΔU## represents a real change in potential energy, not an infinitesimally small one, and thus cannot be differentiated in the same way as a function of ##x##.
hsbhsb

Homework Statement

Where U is potential energy, show that F = -du/dx

Homework Equations

ΔU = U(x) - U(x_0)

$$ΔU = U(x) - U(x_0) = \int_{x_0}^{x}Fdx \qquad (1)$$

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I am confused why
$$\frac{d}{dx}ΔU = \frac{du}{dx} \qquad (2)$$

Doesn't
$$ΔU = du \qquad (3)$$

I recognize that (3) is simple misunderstanding of calculus but for some reason I can't make sense of why it isn't true in this case.

Physics news on Phys.org
hsbhsb said:
I am confused why
$$\frac{d}{dx}ΔU = \frac{du}{dx}$$
I'm a little confused with the notation. Is ##u## the same as ##U##?

Note that ##\frac{d}{dx}ΔU = \frac{d}{dx} \left[U(x) - U(x_0) \right]##.

Simplify this.
Hint: What is ##\frac{d}{dx} U(x_0)##?

Doesn't
$$ΔU = du $$

I recognize that (3) is simple misunderstanding of calculus but for some reason I can't make sense of why it isn't true in this case.
Why do you think it is true in this case?

TSny said:
Is ##u## the same as ##U##?
Yes it is meant to, my mistake for lack of clarity. From now on I will use ##dU## instead of ##du## to represent the derivative of ##U##
TSny said:
Hint: What is ##\frac{d}{dx}U(x_0)##
Does it ##=F+dU/dx##?

TSny said:
Why do you think it is true in this case?
Ok, I can see why ##ΔU \neq dU## in this case. After all, ##ΔU## represents a real change in potential, not an infinitesimally small one. But I am still having trouble understanding this algebraically and intuitively. How can you take the derivative of ##ΔU##? In a situation where all potential energy is provided by gravity, ##ΔU## does not represent a single point where gravity has a single instantaneous force, like ##U(x)## and ##U(x_0)## do. It is rather, a range. Does taking the derivative of ##ΔU## then yield an average force over that range?I think my grasp of Leibniz notation is poor.

You have the relation $$ΔU = U(x) - U(x_0) = \int_{x_0}^{x}Fdx $$ I believe there should be a negative sign in this relation, so that it should read $$ΔU = U(x) - U(x_0) = - \int_{x_0}^{x}Fdx $$ Think of ##x_0## as having a fixed value; but consider ##x## to be a variable. So, ##U(x_0)## is just some number (i.e., a constant), but ##U(x)## is a function of the variable ##x##.

Use rules of calculus to simplify ##\frac{d}{dx}ΔU = \frac{d}{dx}\left[ U(x) - U(x_0) \right] = -\frac{d}{dx}\int_{x_0}^{x}Fdx##

Likes hsbhsb
I get it! Thank you :)

1. What is the meaning of "derivation" in this context?

Derivation is the mathematical process of finding the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables. In this case, we are finding the rate of change of the function F with respect to the variable x.

2. Why is -du/dx used instead of just u?

The notation -du/dx is used to represent the derivative of the function u with respect to x. It is a convention in calculus to use this notation to clearly indicate which variable the function is being differentiated with respect to. It also helps to distinguish between the dependent and independent variables in the equation.

3. How does this equation relate to Newton's Second Law of Motion?

This equation, also known as the "fundamental theorem of calculus," is a mathematical representation of Newton's Second Law of Motion. It states that the rate of change of a function (F) is equal to the net force acting on an object (m) times its acceleration (du/dx).

4. Can you provide an example of how to use this equation in real-life applications?

Yes, this equation is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the acceleration of an object given its mass and the net force acting on it. It is also used in economics to model the change in demand or supply of a product over time.

5. Is it possible to find the derivative of a function without using this equation?

Yes, there are other methods of finding a derivative, such as the limit definition of a derivative or using the power rule. However, the equation -du/dx = F is a powerful tool that allows us to find the derivative of a function without having to use these more complicated methods. It is also useful for solving more complex problems involving multiple variables and functions.