Understanding Magnetic Moment in Uniform Magnetic Field

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
hangainlover
Messages
77
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


[itex]d\hat{S}/dt = γ\hat{S} \times \hat{B}[/itex]
What is the physical interpretation of this equation i.e. what is the behavior of the magnetic moment in
an uniform magnetic field?

Homework Equations



I don't think I need any equation for this, just intuition or vector calculus identity?

The Attempt at a Solution



The original question asked me to derive that equation by drawing analogy with classical system.
I said [itex]d\hat{L}/dt =\tau= d\hat{S}/dt= γ\hat{S} \times \hat{B}[/itex]
Thats fine, but i have hard time seeig what this means to magnetic moment (gamma S)

(plus do you guys know why it suddenly doesn't show up in latex mode?)
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Also, I know angular momentum L is not even close to being spin momentum S, but for some reason my TA said that's how you look at it. if anyone can justify this...