Understanding momentum concept

In Summary, momentum is introduced in order to account for the uniform motion (assume it's space with no resistances), that a body makes although the physical interaction causing it to move disappeared. It is also a vector quantity, kinetic energy is not.
Maisara-WD
Hello

Please, if you UNDERSTAND WHAT IS MOMENTUM, tell me.

I want to know, why do I need momentum, why was this concept introduced. If I were an ancient scientist, what's the problem that faced me in absence of such concept, that lead me to devising it, and at which basis did I choose my independent variables, mass and velocity.

Thanks in Advance..

Physics news on Phys.org
I've forgot to say:

Mu readings have lead me that the concept was introduced in order to account for the uniform motion (assume it's space with no resistances), that a body makes although the physical interaction causing it to move disappeared.

I still don't get it, I think the answer is simply because that body has a kinetic energy! and energy is conserved, there's no resistance, no consumption, let the body move because of its energy.. why momentum?? why to think that energy interpretation is not enough, and that I need another sufficiently explaining concept?

Maisara-WD said:
I still don't get it, I think the answer is simply because that body has a kinetic energy! and energy is conserved, there's no resistance, no consumption, let the body move because of its energy.. why momentum?? why to think that energy interpretation is not enough, and that I need another sufficiently explaining concept?
There are many cases where mechanical energy is not conserved, yet momentum is

Momentum is also a vector quantity, kinetic energy is not.

Let's say it's conserved, WHY to introduce a new concept? is just because of the scalar nature of energy quantities?

Maisara-WD said:
Let's say it's conserved, WHY to introduce a new concept?
Any time you can introduce a new quantity that is conserved it expands your power to understand the world. Take the simplest case: A ball collides with another at rest. Assuming kinetic energy is conserved doesn't allow you to predict what will happen. Adding momentum conservation does.

That's acceptable :D

Thanks ALOT :)

1. What is momentum and how is it defined?

Momentum is a fundamental concept in physics that describes the amount of motion an object has. It is defined as the product of an object's mass and its velocity. In other words, it is the quantity of motion an object possesses due to its mass and speed.

2. How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass (m) by its velocity (v), using the formula p = mv. The unit for momentum is kilogram-meter per second (kg*m/s).

3. What is the principle of conservation of momentum?

The principle of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum of all objects before an event must be equal to the total momentum after the event. This means that momentum is conserved and cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred between objects.

4. How does momentum relate to Newton's laws of motion?

Momentum is related to Newton's laws of motion in that it helps explain the second law, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to the rate of change of its momentum. Additionally, momentum is conserved in accordance with the law of inertia, which is the first law of motion.

5. Can momentum be negative?

Yes, momentum can be negative. This occurs when an object has a negative velocity, meaning it is moving in the opposite direction of its positive direction. However, the magnitude (absolute value) of momentum is always positive.