Understanding Potential Energy of Hanging Mass on Spring

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter atarr3
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mass Spring
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
atarr3
Messages
74
Reaction score
0
I'm having a little trouble understanding the concept of energy for a hanging spring. Suppose I have a system with a mass that is attached to a hanging spring and then is released, causing the mass to oscillate. I'm trying to determine the equation for potential energy, but I'm thrown off by signs.

I'm using the concept that potential is the negative integral of force.

I set my initial position of the spring to be be y0 = 0, so when the mass is attached, we're moving in the negative y direction. This leads me to believe that my bounds for integration should be from -y to y0.

[tex]\int (kx + mg)dy[/tex] from -y to y0 would give me [tex]- \frac{1}{2}ky^{2}+mgy[/tex] if I substitute in y0 = 0.

I guess my question is if I would be correct in integrating from -y to y0 in order to find potential as a function of position, or if I should integrate from y0 to y like I'm traditionally used to.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
it's never been a problem from which to which you'll integrate as long as you are consistent with the symbols and convention that you are using.