Understanding Spectral Lines and the Bohr Model of the Atom

In summary: Basically, the Bohr model is a simplified explanation of how the electron orbits around the nucleus. It's mainly used to explain certain spectral lines, like the one in your hydrogen spectrum. If you want to learn more, I suggest looking up quantum theory. In summary, the different colours in a spectrum are due to the different energy levels the electrons are in. The Bohr model is a simplified explanation of how the electron orbits around the nucleus, and it's used to explain certain spectral lines.
mike_302
Now, I just want to make it clear that normally I wouldn't ask for straight out answers, and I'm not asking for straight out answers here... Just a point in the right direction, unless it is absolutly necessary to give away the answer in explaining the concept to me so that I understand. Basically I am doign a mini-lab on the spectra produced by various elements when their gas is excited by electricity. The questions that came with the lab (at least he ones that have stumped me) include:

What do the different colours in the line spectra represent?
How does the Bohr model of the atom explain the spectrum seen for that atom (for example, my hydrogen spectrum that I observed had 2 lines on the left side, a purple and blue, and then one red line on the far right) ?

So those tw oquestions, although we are supposed to make this up from the top of our head, have stumped me, and personally, I'd like to understadn the concept behind both of these questions. Can anyone explain? Please and thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
1) Electrons being excited from one energy level to another (E.g. n=1 to n=2) the excitation only happens at discreet frequencies
2) The bohr model if you search/look up is where electrons go in orbital paths at discreet energy levels much like a preset solar system with only set orbits that are allowed for the consituant planets. Therefore the electron in your hydrogen spectrum can only excite into certain discreet orbits, the transition from one orbit to the other requires electromagnetic radiation which has the energy, hv, necessary to go from one orbit to another (This is explained better by quantum theory, but bohr model is a much simpler view of it)

Ok, I understadn the first part... When electrons move between shells, they give off differing amounts of energy which correspond to differnt frequencies/wavelengths of the spectrum---> Differnt colours produced.

But number 2 still stumps me. Sorry: I unerstand what the Bohr model is, but I think I need a slightly dumbed down explanation for the rest of this.

1. What topics in chemistry can I get help with?

Homework help for chemistry covers a wide range of topics, including general chemistry, organic chemistry, physical chemistry, biochemistry, and more. You can also find assistance with specific topics such as stoichiometry, acids and bases, and chemical bonding.

2. How can I find reliable sources for my homework?

When looking for homework help for chemistry, it is important to use reputable sources. This can include your textbook, reliable websites such as Khan Academy or Chemguide, and scientific journals. Avoid using sources that are not backed by scientific evidence.

3. Can I get help with both calculations and conceptual problems?

Yes, homework help for chemistry can assist with both types of problems. Whether you are struggling with mathematical calculations or understanding complex concepts, a tutor can guide you through the process and help you understand the material better.

4. Is there a difference between online and in-person chemistry homework help?

The type of chemistry homework help you choose depends on your personal preference. Online help is convenient and can be accessed from anywhere, while in-person help allows for face-to-face interaction with a tutor. However, the quality of help should be the same in both cases.

5. Can I get help with my chemistry homework at any time?

Many online homework help services for chemistry offer 24/7 assistance, so you can get help with your homework at any time. However, it is important to plan ahead and not wait until the last minute to seek help, as understanding chemistry concepts takes time and practice.