Understanding Stirling's Formula: The Bent Equals Sign Explained

• Thread starter PageWizard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
In summary, the symbol is \asymp, and it approximates n!, which gets closer and closer as n gets larger.
PageWizard
Hello everybody,

My name is Daniel. I have a simple question. I'm just doing some research for my theory and I found myself just in the topic of stirling's formula. It is denoted with an equals sign that is bent in like the top bar of the equals sign in bent down, and the bottom bar of the equals sign is bent up. What is this symbol? (like it looks like = but, is modified). I apologize if this is a simple answer just my book doesn't give the written definition of the formula. Thank you for your time :).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In the case of Stirling's formula it means "approximately equal". Stirlings formula gives an approximation of n!, the approximation becoming closer to n! as n gets larger.

Perhaps the sign you meant was "~" ?

That sign denotes asymptotic equally, which roughly, as Halls has already said, means that Stirlings formula approximates n!, which the error reducing as n becomes larger.

Formally, if [tex]\lim_{n\to \infty} \frac{A(n)}{B(n)} = 1[/tex], then we state A(n) ~ B(n).

From this we can see that the error does not necessarily reduce as n grows large, but that the ratio of the error becomes small with respect to the size of the function itself.

Eg (x+1) ~ x, but with a constant error of 1.

[tex]n!\approx\sqrt{2\pi n} \left( \frac n e \right)^n[/tex]

The [itex]\approx[/itex] means "approximately equal to". In other words, Sterling's formula (better: Sterling's approximation) does not yield n factorial. It does yield something that is fairly close to n factorial.

no it's not approximately equal to. It is an equal sign with the top bar bent downwards, and the bottom bar bent upwards. It could in meaning be approximately or precisely equal to but it looks like if you cut a empty half elipse in half, put the bottom half on the top where the topbar of the equal sign was, and the other on the bottom bar.

I can't exactly find the symbol unfortunately.

There's a list of mathematical symbols in Latex http://www.csulb.edu/~fnewberg/Research/latexsymbols2.pdf" . Sounds like you're describing [itex]\succ[/itex] or [itex]\prec[/itex] to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to PF!

Hi Daniel! Welcome to PF! :smile:

There's an non-pdf list of symbols at http://www.physics.udel.edu/~dubois/lshort2e/node61.html#SECTION008100000000000000000

Can you find it there? :smile:

[tex]\succ\prec[/tex] it looks like that except the gap between the top and bottom pieces is a bit more and they are together not separated. now what is this symbol the one that is highlighted as \asymp, cause that is the symbol it uses? and thank you :).

Last edited:
You mean [itex]x \asymp y[/itex]? Not sure, but it could mean x is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asymptotically_equal_to" y. That is, x/y -> 1 in the limit.
I'm more familar with [itex]x\sim y[/itex] for this though.

i'll get the quote here:

"This is a startling fact that Stirling discovered:

n! (that symbol here) sqrt(2*pi)*e^(-n)*n^(n+(1/2))

To my mind, this is one of the quintessential discoveries of 18th century mathematics. A formula like this give us some idea of the astonishing transformation of mathematics"​

does that make sense

Yes, that makes sense. See D.H.'s post above or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stirling%27s_formula" . They use [itex]\approx[/itex] and [itex]\sim[/itex] near the bottom of the page.

thank you :).

Related to Understanding Stirling's Formula: The Bent Equals Sign Explained

1. What is simple notation?

Simple notation is a way of representing mathematical equations or expressions using basic symbols and characters, rather than long written out sentences or phrases. It is often used in fields such as mathematics, physics, and computer science to make complex ideas more concise and easily understood.

2. How is simple notation different from standard notation?

The main difference between simple notation and standard notation is that simple notation uses more basic symbols and characters, while standard notation often includes more complex mathematical symbols and conventions. Simple notation is generally easier to read and understand for those who are not experts in a particular field.

3. What are the benefits of using simple notation?

Simple notation has several benefits, including making complex ideas easier to understand, allowing for more concise and efficient communication, and reducing the chances of errors in equations or expressions. It also allows for more flexibility in representing ideas and can be used in a variety of fields and contexts.

4. Are there any limitations to using simple notation?

While simple notation can be very useful, it does have some limitations. It may not be suitable for representing very complex or abstract ideas, and it may not be universally understood or accepted in all fields. Additionally, some may argue that it oversimplifies certain concepts and may not accurately represent all the nuances and details of a particular idea or equation.

5. How can I learn and use simple notation effectively?

The best way to learn and use simple notation effectively is through practice and exposure to a variety of examples and applications. It is also important to understand the basic rules and conventions of simple notation, as well as how it is used in different fields. Additionally, seeking guidance from experts or resources such as textbooks or online tutorials can also be helpful in mastering simple notation.