Understanding the physics of chimneys....

• I
  • Thread starter fog37
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, a fireplace creates a draft which can pull the warm air out of the room, making it colder.
fog37
TL;DR Summary
Understanding the physics of chimneys
Hello,

While watching survival show, I saw a shelter with a fireplace and a chimney and I started thinking how chimneys work.

My understanding is that hot air rises and cool air sinks. The fire, confined to the fireplace, heats up the air inside the enclosed space. the hot air rises everywhere but some travels up the chimney. Because of the Bernoulli's effect, the hot air moving inside the speeds up and a draft is generated pulling more of the heated smoky air inside the chimney and to the outside.

Assuming what has been said so far is correct, why do chimney need to be taller than any other structure in the house/shelter, higher than the roof? What happens if they are not?

Additionally, is it true that the chimney work "better" the warmer is the air inside the room? Why?
Wouldn't the draft create by the chimney pull the heated air away from the room making it colder? Clearly removing the smoke is important but the purpose of the fireplace is to warm the interior and the chimney's draft negatively affect that objective...

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
1) turbulance and vortices in general
2) More pressure differential
3) In an otherwise heated dwelling fireplaces are usually net energy losers. Woodstoves are better because they require much less exhaust air because of better control thereof.

Likes fog37
fog37 said:
Summary:: Understanding the physics of chimneys

Wouldn't the draft create by the chimney pull the heated air away from the room making it colder?
This is all too often true. A open fire can be very inefficient and a lot of the effective heating is radiant while the warmer air in the room is probably drawn up the chimney, causing cold air to flow into the house.
A proper stove uses minimal air to flowing through it - just enough to burn the fuel and to clear the flue gases. Heat gets to the room from the hot surface of the stove (and sometimes internal convection paths - separate from the flue). It's always necessary to ensure enough air is allowed to flow into the room to allow full combustion and avoid CO generation so air vents have to be available.
the flue needs to get hot enough right the way up to allow convection (double walls are common). It is common, in cold weather, for a plug of cold air in the flue to prevent proper convection venting the smoke, if the initial fire is too slow. Rapid burning of some paper will usually get things going.

• Informative
Likes fog37, Keith_McClary and nsaspook
fog37 said:
Assuming what has been said so far is correct, why do chimney need to be taller than any other structure in the house/shelter, higher than the roof? What happens if they are not?
Roof catches fire.
fog37 said:
Additionally, is it true that the chimney work "better" the warmer is the air inside the room? Why?
Warmer air for combustion --> hotter flue gas --> more powerful updraft. And,
lighter air in room --> more volume moved by updraft.

Likes russ_watters, fog37 and anorlunda
hmmm27 said:
Roof catches fire.
Well said. I second that.

There's an additional factor. Higher up from the ground, there is a better chance of finding a breeze that carries the smoke away from the origin.

That's why the smokestacks at old fashioned coal burning plants were so high. If they blackened the houses of the local lawmakers, there would be consequences. But if they blacken a distant state or country, those remote people have no vote in the local elections.

Likes hmmm27, fog37 and Astronuc
anorlunda said:
Well said. I second that.
But also in certain strong wind directions vorticity off of the roof will drive the smoke back down the chimney (gee how do I know this...) A taller chimney gives both more forward pressure (its a buoyancy thing) and less likelihood of being affected by edge turbulence onset. Not fun fixing your stovepipe in a blizzard.

Likes anorlunda
hutchphd said:
In an otherwise heated dwelling fireplaces are usually net energy losers.
A football player from Green Bay who had picked me up while hitchhiking back in the 1970's was bragging about his vacation home with a fireplace that took six foot logs. He could not use the fireplace in really cold weather because the furnace could not keep up.

Likes hutchphd
anorlunda said:
There's an additional factor. Higher up from the ground, there is a better chance of finding a breeze that carries the smoke away from the origin.
Awhile back, the usual suspects were (virtually) sitting around, ruminating on the winter smog problem in Tibetan "cities". We had it boiled down to two solutions, either a) mechanically dewater the ubiquitous brown coal at the source (some Australian process looked promising), or b) a stove-top/firebox pyrolysis device (water is condensed out of the effluent ; remaining gas fed into the firebox ; and the now-black coal is the next load of fuel).

I have no idea which, if either, was implemented, but "longer chimneys" would have made for a much shorter thread.

Last edited:
Likes fog37 and anorlunda
Thanks everyone.

hutchphd said:
But also in certain strong wind directions vorticity off of the roof will drive the smoke back down the chimney (gee how do I know this...) A taller chimney gives both more forward pressure (its a buoyancy thing) and less likelihood of being affected by edge turbulence onset. Not fun fixing your stovepipe in a blizzard.
Thanks for your comment, hutchphd. What does "forward pressure" mean?

In summary, here my takeaways:

1) The pressure at the ground level is higher than the pressure at a higher altitude since pressure decreases with increasing altitude. The pressure difference helps pushing smoky air from the fireplace up the smokestack.
2) A tall chimney prevents air to flow back down the chimney and inside the room. This happens because turbulence and vortices are generally found at higher altitudes than lower altitudes.
4) Warmer air in the room helps to get a better combustion, hence less smoke (byproduct of incomplete combustion). Also, a hotter flue gas leads to a more powerful updraft.

Thanks!

(1) and(2) are mostly incorrect::
(1) The pressure variation in the atmosphere from altitude is absolutely irrelevant. The pressure differences are caused by buoyancy because hot air is less dense then cold air. This effect will be larger for a (2) longer chimney and hotter air. Air currents at the chimney top can also interfere (local high speed flow and turbulence) A (2) taller chimney gets the exit farther away from the sharp square edges of the house that produce downdraft vortices and turbulence

Likes russ_watters and sophiecentaur
This demo (a movie) is used in most schools to show how convection works. The chimney doesn't have to be above the roof of the house but it helps a lot to overcome adverse conditions and a cold flue!
This is an example of a Heat Engine, which does work when there is a source and a sink of heart. The 'engine' does work, using the heat energy supplied by the candle.

1627320203173.png

A high chimney gives better convection BUT, as mentioned earlier, getting things going on a cold day is more of a problem.
1627320460528.png

A cowl on the top will keep rain out AND mitigate the effects of unfriendly wind. This one is 'top of the range' and helps with gas extraction when the wind blows.

Last edited:
Likes hutchphd
fog37 said:
Because of the Bernoulli's effect, the hot air moving inside the speeds up and a draft is generated pulling more of the heated smoky air inside the chimney and to the outside.
In case it isn't already clear, this has nothing to do with "Bernoulli's effect".

Likes hutchphd and sophiecentaur

1. How does a chimney work?

A chimney works by creating a draft that draws air from the fire and carries smoke and gases out of the house. The heat from the fire creates a pressure difference, with hot air rising and creating a suction effect that pulls air and smoke up and out of the chimney.

2. What is the purpose of a chimney liner?

A chimney liner serves several purposes, including protecting the chimney walls from heat and corrosion, improving draft and efficiency, and preventing harmful gases from leaking into the home. It also helps to keep the chimney clean and reduces the risk of chimney fires.

3. How does the height of a chimney affect its performance?

The height of a chimney plays a crucial role in its performance. A taller chimney creates a stronger draft, as the taller column of air has a greater weight and creates more suction. It also helps to prevent downdrafts and improves the efficiency of the chimney.

4. What is the difference between a masonry and metal chimney?

A masonry chimney is made of brick, stone, or concrete and is built on-site. It is more durable and can withstand higher temperatures, but it is also more expensive and requires regular maintenance. A metal chimney, on the other hand, is made of stainless steel or other metal and is prefabricated for easy installation. It is less expensive and requires less maintenance, but it may not last as long as a masonry chimney.

5. How can I improve the efficiency of my chimney?

To improve the efficiency of your chimney, make sure it is properly sized for your fireplace or stove, and that it has a proper liner. Regular cleaning and maintenance are also essential to keep the chimney functioning efficiently. Additionally, using dry, seasoned wood and avoiding burning trash or other materials can help to reduce smoke and improve efficiency.