Understanding what happens to exp((6-s)t) when t goes to inf

• Thread starter oso0690
  • Start date
In summary, When taking the limit of exp((6-s)t) as t goes to infinity, it is important to consider the region of convergence for the Laplace Transform. If Re(s) > 6, then the limit is 0, resulting in a Laplace Transform of 1/(s-6). However, if Re(s) ≤ 6, the Laplace Transform does not exist.
oso0690

Homework Statement

I want to understand what happens to exp((6-s)t) when t goes to infinity. Btw, this is part of a Laplace Transform so that's what the 's' is.

Homework Equations

f(t) = exp(6t)u(t)

Find Laplace Transform.

The Attempt at a Solution

I get to:

exp((6-s)t) / (6-s) in which i must integrate from 0 to infinity. I'm pretty sure the answer is 1 / (6-s) but I don't understand why. Breaking apart exp(6t) goes to infinity. And breaking apart exp(-st) goes to 0 right? *when t=inf

Physics news on Phys.org
It's okay if (6-s)<0.

For a Laplace Transform is that always true?

No, I just figured something out. Not all functions have Laplace transforms, the example of the exponential increase is one example of that.

Many functions f(t) have Laplace transforms F(s) that are valid only for certain regions of s. For example, u(t) has L.T. = 1/s, but this is valid only if s > 0 because it comes from integrating exp(-s*t) for t from 0 to +infinity.

RGV

So when applying t=infinity for the function exp((6-s)t) , it doesn't exist? Or does exp(6t) just get neglected?

EDIT: just saw ray's post. So must it be specified that (6-s)<0 or is it just something known with Laplace Transforms?

oso0690 said:
So when applying t=infinity for the function exp((6-s)t) , it doesn't exist? Or does exp(6t) just get neglected?

EDIT: just saw ray's post. So must it be specified that (6-s)<0 or is it just something known with Laplace Transforms?
No, you cannot neglect it; that is why the L.T. makes no sense for s < 6. And, of course, we never let t = infinity; we take the *limit* as t --> infinity. (That is how integrals are _defined_ over infinite intervals: as limits.) Anyway, when s > 6 the limit = 0, so the term goes away. However, we did not "neglect" it; we examined it carefully.

RGV

Thank you for correcting me.

So here's what I have:

1/(6-s) * (exp((6-s)t) where t is evaluated from 0 to infinity

1/(6-s) * ( exp((6-s)*inf) - exp((6-s)*0) )

For s > 6

1/(6-s) * (0 - 1)

-1/(6-s)

1/(s-6)

For s < or equal to 6, L.T. does not exist.

Is this correct?

Btw thanks to both of you for helping me.

Remember s is complex, so it doesn't make sense to say s>6. What you should say is Re(s)>6, where Re(s) denotes the real part of s. The half plane Re(s)>6 is called the region of convergence.

1. What is the limit of exp((6-s)t) as t approaches infinity?

The limit of exp((6-s)t) as t approaches infinity is 0. This is because the exponential function decreases rapidly as the value of its exponent increases, and since t is approaching infinity, the value of the exponent (6-s)t will also approach infinity, causing the function to approach 0.

2. How does the value of s affect the limit of exp((6-s)t) as t approaches infinity?

The value of s does not affect the limit of exp((6-s)t) as t approaches infinity. This is because when t approaches infinity, the value of (6-s)t will also approach infinity, regardless of the value of s. Therefore, the function will always approach 0.

3. Is the limit of exp((6-s)t) as t approaches infinity affected by the value of 6?

No, the value of 6 does not affect the limit of exp((6-s)t) as t approaches infinity. This is because the value of 6 only serves as a constant in the function, and as t approaches infinity, the value of (6-s)t will still approach infinity, causing the function to approach 0.

4. Can the limit of exp((6-s)t) as t approaches infinity be negative?

No, the limit of exp((6-s)t) as t approaches infinity cannot be negative. This is because the exponential function is always positive, and as t approaches infinity, the value of the function will approach 0, which is a positive number.

5. How can the limit of exp((6-s)t) as t approaches infinity be used in real-world applications?

The limit of exp((6-s)t) as t approaches infinity can be used in many real-world applications, such as in finance, physics, and biology. In finance, it can be used to model exponential growth or decay, while in physics, it can be used to describe the behavior of radioactive decay. In biology, it can be used to model population growth or the spread of diseases. Essentially, it can be used to analyze any situation where a quantity is changing over time and approaches a limit as time goes to infinity.