Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Understanding why an angle is the same as another one?

1. Oct 26, 2008 #1
    http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t88/liliananas/FORCES.jpg

My teacher told us that on an inclined plane, the angle the weight of a block makes with the parallel force is the same as the angle of the inclined plane, in this case 29°. Why is that? I know it has to do something with similar angles, such as those in the shape of a Z or F, but I can't find the shape to justify these angles. Thanks for your help!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2008 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Think of two rigid coordinate systems, the one characterised as horizontal&vertical, the other as tangential&normal.

Now, let's start out with a copy of the horizontal&vertical system, lying on top of itself.
    Rotate the upper system, so that its previous "horizontal direction" now coincides with the "tangential direction".
    But then, the previous "vertical direction" must now coincide with the "normal direction", otherwise, orthogonality of the two axes has not been preserved.

But, and this is the insight to be drawn directly relevant to your question:
    Therefore, the angle the TANGENTIAL axis makes with the horizontal axis, must be the same angle as the angle between the NORMAL axis and the vertical axis! It is a single rotation that has been made, and the magnitude of that rotation is given by the angle of how much BOTH axes has been rotated with respect to the "standard" horizontal&vertical coordinate system.

4. Oct 27, 2008 #3
    [​IMG]

Hopefully that's clear enough (I just added to your drawing). Since they're both right angle triangles, the angle must be the same.

5. Oct 28, 2008 #4
    Hey I finally get it! Thanks alridno and mace2!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?