1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Undetermined Coefficients Problem

1. Oct 23, 2011 #1
    I'm given:
    [tex]y''-y'+\frac{y}{4}=3+e^{\frac{x}{2}}[/tex]
    and asked to solve it using undetermined coefficients. Using the auxilary equation
    [tex]y=e^{\lambda t}[/tex]
    I got [tex]y_{1}=e^{\frac{x}{2}}, y_{1}=xe^{\frac{x}{2}}[/tex]

Now to solve the particular solution, I chose to guess:

[tex]y_{p}=axe^{\frac{x}{2}}+b[/tex] and [tex]y_{p}=cx+d[/tex]

From what I understand in this case, you're supposed to guess a polynomial of one order higher than what you have. However I basically get a giant mess:

[tex]y=axe^{\frac{x}{2}}+b+cx+d[/tex]
    [tex]y'=ae^{\frac{x}{2}}+a\frac{x}{2}e^{\frac{x}{2}}+c[/tex]
    [tex]y''=a\frac{x}{4}e^{\frac{x}{2}}+ae^{\frac{x}{2}}[/tex]
    Gives:
    [tex]a\frac{x}{4}e^{\frac{x}{2}}+ae^{\frac{x}{2}}-ae^{\frac{x}{2}}+a\frac{x}{2}e^{\frac{x}{2}}+c+ \frac{1}{4}(axe^{\frac{x}{2}}+b+cx+d)=3+e^{x}{2}[/tex]

I can't compare coefficients for all of the terms. Some of the exponentials are multiplied by x, which doesn't appear on the other side. What am I supposed to do?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2011 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try:

[tex]y_p = A + Bx^2e^{\frac x 2}[/tex]

You don't need lower powers of x times the exponential because they are solutions of the homogeneous equation.

4. Oct 23, 2011 #3
    So you need higher powers? That's the only place I can see the x2 coming from.

5. Oct 23, 2011 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

6. Oct 23, 2011 #5
    That's actually not being covered...I'll make a note to look into it once the semester is over and I have some spare time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook