Undetermined Coefficients Problem

In summary, the conversation is about solving a differential equation using undetermined coefficients. The speaker discusses using the auxiliary equation to find the homogeneous solutions and then guessing a particular solution based on the form of the non-homogeneous part. They mention that when guessing the particular solution, it is important to choose a polynomial of one order higher than what is already present. The conversation ends with a mention of the Annihilator Method for further understanding.
Lancelot59
I'm given:
[tex]y''-y'+\frac{y}{4}=3+e^{\frac{x}{2}}[/tex]
and asked to solve it using undetermined coefficients. Using the auxilary equation
[tex]y=e^{\lambda t}[/tex]
I got [tex]y_{1}=e^{\frac{x}{2}}, y_{1}=xe^{\frac{x}{2}}[/tex]

Now to solve the particular solution, I chose to guess:

[tex]y_{p}=axe^{\frac{x}{2}}+b[/tex] and [tex]y_{p}=cx+d[/tex]

From what I understand in this case, you're supposed to guess a polynomial of one order higher than what you have. However I basically get a giant mess:

[tex]y=axe^{\frac{x}{2}}+b+cx+d[/tex]
[tex]y'=ae^{\frac{x}{2}}+a\frac{x}{2}e^{\frac{x}{2}}+c[/tex]
[tex]y''=a\frac{x}{4}e^{\frac{x}{2}}+ae^{\frac{x}{2}}[/tex]
Gives:
[tex]a\frac{x}{4}e^{\frac{x}{2}}+ae^{\frac{x}{2}}-ae^{\frac{x}{2}}+a\frac{x}{2}e^{\frac{x}{2}}+c+ \frac{1}{4}(axe^{\frac{x}{2}}+b+cx+d)=3+e^{x}{2}[/tex]

I can't compare coefficients for all of the terms. Some of the exponentials are multiplied by x, which doesn't appear on the other side. What am I supposed to do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try:

[tex]y_p = A + Bx^2e^{\frac x 2}[/tex]

You don't need lower powers of x times the exponential because they are solutions of the homogeneous equation.

LCKurtz said:
Try:

[tex]y_p = A + Bx^2e^{\frac x 2}[/tex]

You don't need lower powers of x times the exponential because they are solutions of the homogeneous equation.

So you need higher powers? That's the only place I can see the x2 coming from.

Hopefully your text discusses this. To really understand it you need to look at the "Annihilator Method". See:

http://faculty.swosu.edu/michael.dougherty/DiffEqI/lecture10.pdf

If you don't want to wade through all the theory, skip down to about page 5 for some examples.

That's actually not being covered...I'll make a note to look into it once the semester is over and I have some spare time.

1. What is the "Undetermined Coefficients Problem"?

The "Undetermined Coefficients Problem" is a method used in differential equations to find a particular solution. It involves guessing the form of the solution based on the terms in the equation and then solving for the coefficients.

2. When is the "Undetermined Coefficients Problem" used?

The "Undetermined Coefficients Problem" is used when solving non-homogeneous linear second-order differential equations with constant coefficients. It is most commonly used when the non-homogeneous term is a sum of terms containing polynomials, exponential functions, sine or cosine functions, or combinations of these.

3. What is the difference between homogeneous and non-homogeneous equations?

Homogeneous equations have a non-zero solution only when the constant term is equal to zero. Non-homogeneous equations have a non-zero solution even when the constant term is not equal to zero. The "Undetermined Coefficients Problem" is used to find a particular solution for non-homogeneous equations.

4. How do you guess the form of the particular solution?

The form of the particular solution is based on the terms in the non-homogeneous part of the equation. For example, if the non-homogeneous term is a polynomial of degree n, the particular solution will be a polynomial of degree n+1. If the non-homogeneous term is an exponential function, the particular solution will be a constant times the same exponential function.

5. Are there any limitations to using the "Undetermined Coefficients Problem"?

Yes, there are limitations to using the "Undetermined Coefficients Problem". It can only be used for linear equations with constant coefficients, and the non-homogeneous term must be a sum of terms containing polynomials, exponential functions, sine or cosine functions, or combinations of these. It also does not work for equations with repeated roots or when the non-homogeneous term is too complex.