Uneven start/end points (2D Kinematics)

In summary, the problem involves a diver jumping from a 3 meters high board into water at a speed of 9.30 m/s and an angle of 84.0º with respect to the horizontal surface. To determine the initial velocity (both magnitude and direction), the equation h = v(i) * t - 1/2at^2 is used, with h representing the initial height. To find the time, the quadratic formula is used on the equation -4.9t^2 + 9.249t + 3, with the time being between 1.888 seconds and 2.17 seconds.
nz314

Homework Statement

A diver springs upward from a board that is 3 meters above the water. At the instant she contacts the water her speed is 9.30 m/s and her body makes an angle of 84.0º with respect to the horizontal surface of the water. Determine her initial velocity, both magnitude and direction.

Homework Equations

h = v(i) * t - 1/2at^2
t(half) = (v * sin(x))/g
d = (v^2 * 2sin(x) * cos(x))/g

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried using h = v(i) * t - 1/2at^2 to find the initial velocity (with h as 3).
Unsure exactly of where I should be headed...

*SOLVED*

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Using h = vt - 1/2at^2, I've gotten the quadratic (-4.9t^2 + 9.249t + 3). From there, to determine the velocity (magnitude), I isolated the portion of the parabola between y = 3 (x = 1.888) and y = 0 (x = 2.17). I'm just unsure of how to find the time with the diver starting 3 meters above the water.

What is an uneven start/end point in 2D kinematics?

An uneven start/end point in 2D kinematics refers to the situation where an object's initial and final positions are not aligned in a straight line. This means that the object has moved in both the x and y directions during its motion.

Why is it important to consider uneven start/end points in 2D kinematics?

Uneven start/end points in 2D kinematics can affect the calculation of an object's displacement, velocity, and acceleration. It also affects the direction of the object's motion, as it may not be purely horizontal or vertical.

How do you calculate displacement, velocity, and acceleration when dealing with uneven start/end points in 2D kinematics?

To calculate displacement in this scenario, the Pythagorean theorem can be used to find the object's net displacement. Velocity and acceleration can be calculated by dividing the net displacement by the total time taken for the object to move from its initial to final position.

Can uneven start/end points affect the accuracy of the calculated values in 2D kinematics?

Yes, uneven start/end points can affect the accuracy of calculated values in 2D kinematics. This is because the object's motion is not solely in one direction, making it more challenging to accurately measure and calculate its displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

How can we account for uneven start/end points in 2D kinematics when conducting experiments?

To account for uneven start/end points in 2D kinematics, it is essential to accurately measure the initial and final positions of the object and consider the direction of its motion. It is also helpful to take multiple measurements to reduce errors and calculate an average value for displacement, velocity, and acceleration.