Uniform Beam (equivalent systems)

In summary, the problem involves a uniform beam with three forces acting on it at different points. In order to determine the single force passing through B and the resulting moment, the forces must be combined into one resultant force that satisfies the conditions of equilibrium. This can be achieved by breaking down the 600N force and finding the sum of forces and moments. The resultant force is 350i-233j N and the moment at B is 350Nm. To reduce the system to a singular force, the moment can be moved a certain distance to become a force. Using the equation d=M/F, the distance is found to be 5/6 m to the left of B.
ste234
Homework Statement
A uniform beam |AE| at 2m from A there's a 500N force at 60degrees to the negative x-axis direction. At 3.5m from A (1.5m from the 600N) There's a 200j N force and at 4.5m from A there's a -100i N force acting 0.5m above the beam.

i)Determine the single force which is passing through B (2m from A) and the resuting moment which is equivalent

ii)Reduce the system in i to a singular force (no couple) and determine where its line of action lies on AE using A as a point of reference for distance

(THis is B in the attached PDF)

Homework Equations

For equilibrium:
sum of forces=0
sum of moments=0

The Attempt at a Solution

i)
The 600N force can be broken down to 500Cos60 i - 500sin j = 250i-433j N
Sum of forces in Y= -433+200=-233
Sum of forces in X= 250+100=350
Sum of moments about B= 200(1.5)+100(0.5)=350Nm
Therefore, the equivalent system is 350i-233j N and a 350Nm moment at B.
ii)
I'm not very sure about this. Can I move the moment a certain distance so that it become a force of 350/(some distance from B)
Edited:
I found an equation which says d=M/F (moment divided by resultant force) so in this case it would be 350/(350i-233j)
so would that be 350/420=5/6 m but to which side of B? is 5/6m to the left since its a positive moment. (Anti-clockwise being positive)

Attachments

• me4111 (4)Q1B.jpg
    me4111 (4)Q1B.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 447
Physics news on Phys.org
If I remember my statics correctly, you have to combine the forces into one resultant force that satisfies the following conditions:

1. The components of the resultant force in x and y must equal the sum of the individual forces in x and y.
2. The resultant force must act at a place on the beam so that the moment at B is the same as in part (i).

Try that and see what comes out.

1. What is a Uniform Beam?

A Uniform Beam is a structural element that is used to support weight and distribute loads evenly. It is a type of beam that has a constant cross-section and is made of a uniform material throughout its length.

2. How is a Uniform Beam different from other types of beams?

A Uniform Beam differs from other types of beams, such as cantilever beams or simply supported beams, because it has a constant cross-section and is made of a uniform material. This allows for the distribution of loads evenly along the entire length of the beam, providing greater stability and strength.

3. What are equivalent systems in relation to a Uniform Beam?

Equivalent systems refer to a method of simplifying complex structural systems into a single, simplified system that has the same external loads and reactions as the original system. In the case of a Uniform Beam, equivalent systems can be used to calculate the reactions and stresses on the beam by replacing it with a simpler, equivalent system.

4. How are equivalent systems calculated for a Uniform Beam?

Equivalent systems for a Uniform Beam can be calculated using the principle of superposition, which states that the total effect of multiple loads acting on a beam is equal to the sum of the effects of each individual load. This allows for the replacement of a complex loading system with a simpler, equivalent loading system.

5. What are some common applications of Uniform Beams?

Uniform Beams have many practical applications, including in the construction of bridges, buildings, and other structures. They are also commonly used in the design of machine frames and other industrial structures. Additionally, Uniform Beams can be used in laboratory experiments to study the properties of materials and structural systems.